Email configuration triggering connection time out error

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
skidelo

Email configuration triggering connection time out error

Post by skidelo »

Hello,

Just getting into HD Sentinel. I've tried setting up the email configuration but keep getting a connection timed out error.

My settings are:
smtp.gmail.com
port 465
Use SSL w/ gmail login credentials

I tried disabling my firewall just in case... Any ideas?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Email configuration triggering connection time out error

Post by hdsentinel »

Hello,

This 100% works, I just checked and there are absolutely no problems.
Did you specify your @gmail.com address as sender address and any sender name (which is used as sender of the e-mail) and a valid recipient address where the e-mail should be delivered? (did you check that the password is OK?)

You may also try port 587, that should also work with gmail, as described in the help of gmail.

So you would need to specify:

Sender name: anything (will be displayed in your e-mail client when you receive the alert as sender)
Sender e-mail: your @gmail.com address, just like if you'd send the e-mail
Recipient e-mail: any e-mail address where the alert / notification should be sent (can be the same @gmail.com address or completely different)
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465 (or 587)
Use SSL
Username: your full @mail.com address
Password: the password to access the mailbox
skidelo

Post by skidelo »

I tried it on another machine running Windows 7 and it worked fine. The machine it doesn't work on is running Windows 8. This could be the issue?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

I do not think so.
Today checked again on both XP, Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 8 (64 bit) and everything works fine on all systems with gmail account.
Did you try the different port?
skidelo

Post by skidelo »

I tried both ports with no luck. However both ports worked on the Windows 7 machine.
My specific error is:
Socket Error # 10060
Connection timed out.

I currently use another program that uses email notifications on port 465 and thought that could be the problem. But after shutting it down, I still received the error.
Firewall is off...
I'm not sure what the deal is.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

This seems really interesting.
The connection timeout is usually related to firewall / connection problems: the software does not receive any answer from the remote computer (the mail server).

There should be no problems if another software also wants to send on port 465.

Please try the newest beta version from the Download page: http://www.hdsentinel.com/beta4/hdsenti ... up4109.zip
as it has some general improvements for Win8. Not sure, but maybe it will work differently.
eschleicher

Post by eschleicher »

Has this issue been resolved? I'm having the exact same problem. I have a windows 7 machine where the test email is sent just fine using port 465 through gmail, however when I do the same thing on my windows 8 machine, where I'm really interested in getting email updates, nothing happens.

I know it is not a firewall issue because I have turned off the firewall completely on the windows 8 machine and it still doesn't work. Both machines are on the same network so there should be no router issues either. Any help would be appreciated, this feature is one of the main reasons I bought the program. The windows 8 machine is a file server that I rarely look at, so email warnings are important.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and excuse me for the troubles. Yes, I can confirm resolved: there are absolutely no problems and e-mail alers should work correctly in the latest version (4.20) under Windows 8 (both 32 and 64 bit versions). If things do not work, I'm afraid it may be related to an other software, for example antivirus / firewall or something else.

As you can see on the images, Hard Disk Sentinel can properly send with smtp.gmail.com if the e-mail configuration is correct. You can see that both port 465 and 587 works correctly (you may try port 587 if you did not yet try that), as recommended by google. If there is a mis-configuration (see incorrect port 557 configured on the 2nd image) then we can have a such error - as expected, but if the e-mail configuration is correct, the mail sending should work without problems.

Tested under both 32 and 64 bit Windows 8 versions (the screenshots made under Win8x64)

If possible, please use Report -> Send test report to developer option. This way I can check the Win8 version you have and that may give some ideas about what can cause the problems.

Not sure, but I can imagine that the name of the computer (Control panel -> System and security -> System) may not be accepted by smtp.gmail.com when your computer initiates the connection.

Correct and working e-mail configuration:

Wrong e-mail configuration (incorrect port in this case) triggers error:

Correct and working e-mail configuration (different port):

Hope this helps ;)
eschleicher

Post by eschleicher »

I used the send report option to send get you the information you requested. I am using the same settings you are so there must be some other issue. I'm not using any antivirus or firewall software that isn't included with windows 8 so that shouldn't be it. On top of that the test report was sent out fine so it doesn't seem like the firewall is blocking the program. The message that I get after pressing the test email button is.

socket error 10060 connection timed out.

however this is not immediate like when I use the wrong port on my windows 7 machine. It can take 5 or more minutes for this connection timed out error to appear.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the report, I checked but do not see any troubles. The name of the computer is also fine.

Not sure, but do you have any kind of non-standard ASCII character in the e-mail address and/or the password? There should be no problems with that, but maybe ... If possible, I'd try and make sure to have only English uppercase/lowercase letters and numbers in both the e-mail address and password.
On the test systems, the e-mail addresses and passwords meet these standards and never experienced troubles.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

FYI: if you experience e-mail troubles, consider trying the latest beta version which has general improvements in this field:

http://www.hdsentinel.com/beta4/hdsenti ... _hzuaf.zip
misophist

Post by misophist »

The beta fixed this for me. Was getting an error using port 465 with gmail, no message at all when using 587. Can confirm both ports work fine with 4.40b5.
Samosenko

Post by Samosenko »

Извините если не туда, но как с админом сайта связаться?
светильник влагозащищенный смотреть в каталоге витражные светильники на totci.ru
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

To contact the admin, feel free to send an e-mail to info@hdsentinel.com or use the Report menu -> Send test report to developer option in Hard Disk Sentinel.
Samosenko

Post by Samosenko »

и я там была...мне понравилось=)). Александр,было приятно познакомиться=)
светильник влагозащищенный смотреть в каталоге витражные светильники на totci.ru