Email reporting suddenly not working

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
soyo

Email reporting suddenly not working

Post by soyo »

Hi hdsentinel

I know I set it correctly and it worked about half a year ago, but now when I tried to test it I get an tray popup saying the report could not be sent and to check my configuration. But the problem is I didn't change anything in between. Were there some changes to a gmail configuration or anything? Any clues why the perfectly good gmail setup in hdsentinel suddenly gives error?

cheers
Lucas
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Email reporting suddenly not working

Post by hdsentinel »

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your message.
I'm not sure, I can confirm that in Hard Disk Sentinel e-mail notifications nothing changed.
Thiungs work as should, even under latest OSes like Windows 10 Technical Preview tested, see image:

Please verify your settings. You may try port 465 and 587, maybe one of them will work.

Or maybe gmail have changed something for your @gmail.com account (?)
soyo

Post by soyo »

Hi hdsentinel

You were correct, although I'm not sure why I didn't get email from google about the "insecure login try" before. I did get it now when I tried to make the test again. That led me to the solution.

In anyways, for someone else who might get this problem in the future, here are the screenshots that will help you.

hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the tip!

To be honest, I do not really understand.
Hard Disk Sentinel uses secure connection method to connect to gmail server, so I wonder what is "insecure login" method.
Personally I never experienced such issues with using gmail account with Hard Disk Sentinel, but if somebody encounters the same, this may help, thanks for sharing !
misterflot

Post by misterflot »

I am now having the same problem with the update to HDSPro 4.6.

In my previous version I had HDS set up to send an email at a particular time (or after that time if the time elapsed).

In version 4.6 PRO this no longer happens and I cannot see how to set it up.

Something is missing. I really miss that function.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and excuse me for the troubles.

However, there should be no problems here.I can confirm that nothing changed / modified / removed in the area of e-mail sending or e-mail configuration in version 4.60 compared to the previous version 4.50

It is possible that your firewall software may detected that the main executable HDSentinel.exe is changed/modified (of course, as it is updated) and for security reasons it blocks the modified version. Please check if this may be the case and if required, modify the firewall rules to allow HDSentinel.exe to connect and send e-mails.

Generally, the e-mail configuration is available at Configuration -> E-mail configuration
and on the Configuration -> Alerts page, it is possible to specify which events (eg. when hard disk temperature is high, when health is low, when hard disk failure predicted, etc.) should trigger alerts.

If possible, you may also check a different e-mail address, just to verify if the issue is related to a particular address (or e-mail provider) or not.