Main window not opening

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
x111

Main window not opening

Post by x111 »

OS - windows 8.1 pro, Hdd - seagate 1 tb , no other storage hardware used .

I have been running version 4.2 pro for two years without any issues, The program is always running in the system tray showing the hdd temp , few months back i tried to see the main window by clicking the quick launch icon , but the main window did not open ( it used to work normally earlier dont know when this issue started ), i tried running as admin & reinstalled HDS but it did not fix the problem , I wasnt using HDS at that time so i ignored it .

Today i needed to use HDS so i uninstalled 4.2 & installed 4.4 pro but this version also had the same problem . The main window does not open & in system tray by right clicking i can only access "configuration " & "show status window" other option dont work .

I am attaching screenshot of what happens when i hover the mouse over the quick launch icon - which shows preview of the main window .
Attachments
hds.jpg
hds.jpg (321.52 KiB) Viewed 6881 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Main window not opening

Post by hdsentinel »

Generally, if the preview works, it confirms that the window is displayed - just may not be on the current screen.
It is not rare that the window moved outside to the screen (or even moved to 2nd monitor) and then as Hard Disk Sentinel automatically saves the last position and size, then next time it displayed there again, which may be outside the primary monitor, outside the current display area.

Uninstallation / reinstallation have no effect as upon uninstall the settings (including this setting) preserved.

So I'd recommend to

- Completely close: right click on the tray icon and select Exit
- delete the file HDSentinel.ini from the folder where Hard Disk Sentinel installed (eg. C:\Program Files (x86)\Hard Disk Sentinel )
or even better just to move it to a different folder (for backup purposes)
- start the software again

This way Hard Disk Sentinel will start with the default settings / options, which resets the display options as well.
(this does not clear any hard disk statistics, logs, registration details and so).

Please let me know if things are better this way. If you previously backup the file in step 2, you may send it to info@hdsentinel.com as then it is possible to check, verify what caused the trouble and add extra protection against such issue.
x111

Post by x111 »

After making this thread i uninstalled HDS & this time i deleted the HDS folder in program files before reinstalling , this fixed it . Thanks
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes - as this deleted the INI file as well, so the new installed version used the default settings and expected to work ;)
Sorry for the troubles with the previously kept settings - which may caused that the window displayed outside the visible desktop.