Bug Report

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
MaddMutt

Bug Report

Post by MaddMutt »

This is my first time in this forum and I'm not sure if this is correct.
AMD has just posted their new OMEGA driver (WHQL).
HD Sentinel has been updated to 4.50.15.
I had two (2) computers running great with HD Sentinel and AMD Graphics. ( 1 computer had 2 7950's in CF and the other was running Folding At Home with 5 R9 280x's NOT in CF)
Shortly after installing the new AMD Drivers, the computers locked up. I have spent the last week trying to get the computers back running. Saturday Dec 20 2014 I had 1 computer working with a non registered version of HD Sentinal 4.30 installed.
This configuration worked all day until I decided to register HD Sentinal. Shortly after I registered it and updated to the current version 4.50.15. The computer froze on me. I did the normal reboot and noticed that when my computer got to the spot when HD Sentinal Should Have displayed the condition of my HDD's, my computer locked up again.
I can only assume that there is a problem between the current version of HD Sentinal and AMD current Video Driver. I have not retested this theory as it has taken 4 days to get 1 computer back fully operational.
I have currently down loaded HD Sentinal version 4.40 Pro (registered) and have not had a problem in the past 30min. This is with the new AMD Video Driver installed.

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading And Replying

MaddMutt
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Bug Report

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and excuse me for the possible troubles.
Yes, from time to time, it may happen that manufacturers release new drivers which do not work as expected: instead of offering new functins, features and advanced compatibility, they even go in bad direction. AMD is absolutely leading in this field.

Generally, the video card driver should have no effect on the operation of Hard Disk Sentinel software, but I suspect the update may affected your chipset drivers as well.

Personally I did not yet experience such troubles, and to investigate, would be nice to get some details about the actual configuration.
The best would be to have a developer report, with Report menu -> Send test report to developer option. That would help lots in investigation of the current situation, verify the drivers and check how things can be improved.

For a quick test, you may try to
- boot the computer to SAFE mode and verify how the system (and Hard Disk Sentinel) works that way. If the above mentioned Report menu -> Send test report to developer option can't work in normal mode, then you may try to create such developer report in "safe mode" at Configuration -> Send test report page, just create the report, save it and then send in e-mail to info (at) hdsentinel (dot) com address later

- at the bottom of Configuration -> Disk Control page, you can use the "Disable detection of USB and SCSI drives". This option disables some detection techniques (also the ones required to access hard disk status on the AMD chipset) so it is possible that (even if you have limited hard disk status information displayed) there are no problems. Please let me know if this happens, this information (together with the developer report) may help to investigate the situation, improve the compatibility with the new AMD driver.