Registration and Configuration Lost after BSOD

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
voyager62

Registration and Configuration Lost after BSOD

Post by voyager62 »

After having problems with my Wi-Fi adapter, I tried a different driver that resulted in a BSOD. When I rebooted, HDSentinel now said it was unregistered and all the configuration settings were reset even though chkdsk found no errors on my hard drive.

No other programs lost their setting, so I don't understand how the registration data and configuration for HDSentinel would be lost without any file system corruption. Is the configuration reset if HDSentinel thinks it's no longer registered? If so, there should be a way to restore the previous configuration once HDSentinel is reregistered.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Registration and Configuration Lost after BSOD

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message. Excuse me for the troubles, this sounds more than interesting.

Generally, the settings and the registration information are stored completely differently. So even if the configuration file may be somehow corrupted (for example if it was just updated when the BSOD happens and thus that one file may not saved by Windows or truncated) then the registration details should remain.
These information also stored independently from the actual statistics or hard disk logs. This is designed exactly to protect against such issues.

So to be honest, I also don't understand what caused that BOTH the registration details and the settings were lost - but I can confirm that it is not related to Hard Disk Sentinel, not really a bug of the software.

I can confirm that you can register and actvate the software again, there should be no problems (please let me know if I can assist in retrieving the registration details).

Then I'd suggest to use the Configuration -> Update -> Backup Configuration option.
This will save all settings, registration and activation details (and statistics about the hard disk drives) to a single file, which you may re-load later, any time if required.

Also if you can use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, this may help - as then it is possible to check the actual configuration, verify what could happen which caused the issue and add further protection against such events.