HDSentinel.xml file not being updated consistently

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
davensac

HDSentinel.xml file not being updated consistently

Post by davensac »

I'm running HD Sentinel v4.50 from a USB drive to test HDDs on laptop systems we process. I'm finding though that HDSentinel.xml isn't always getting updated each time I startup HDSentinel.exe and it displays results. If this is known issue I haven't come upon anything on it in this forum. Anybody have an idea why this could be happening? Other files in the HDSData folder are getting update, but at times HDSentinel.xml isn't.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: HDSentinel.xml file not being updated consistently

Post by hdsentinel »

By default HDSentinel.xml is not created / updated at all, unless you enable the Configuration -> Advanced options -> Generate and update XML file option.

If that option enabled, then HDSentinel.xml file is automatically created / updated on startup and after each detection cycles.
However, that file saved on the (fixed) location you configured by the Select button next to that option.
It means that (for example) if you configured to store at E:\HDS\HDSentinel.xml (assuming that the USB drive has drive letter E: ) then if you disconnect and re-connect the USB drive to a different system and it will have different logical drive automatically assigned by Windows (for example F: or so) then the file can't be saved - or may be saved to other drive, based on the configured path to store the XML file.
davensac

Post by davensac »

I believe the scenario you described with the logical drive changing when the USB gets removed and added to a different system could be the cause. Could this also happen with the portable version of HD sentinel? One would think with the portable version this wouldn't be allowed to happen.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, I'm sure this can happen with the Portable version.
Originally this function designed for the installed version only, where the XML file should be always stored in a fixed location, where other 3rd party applications / external scripts can access it and load, process the complete hard disk status information detected and saved by Hard Disk Sentinel.

This is why the configured location is always used as configured, it does not "follow" the possible change of the software, for example if the Portable version started and the pendrive got a different logical drive.

But yes, I completely agree that this function may need to be changed, so with the Portable version, if this option enabled, the XML file should be always stored in the folder of the software, instead of saving to a (possible different) logical drive.
Thanks for your attention !
davensac

Post by davensac »

Please keep me posted in this forum if this can possibly be fixed/changed and when. It's sometimes causing us problems in our application if the USB isn't recognized as being the D:\ drive.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Please try the new beta 4.71.3 Portable version:

http://www.hdsentinel.com/beta4/hdsenti ... -sdeeq.zip

To use this version, please
- completely close the current running Portable
- extract the files from this ZIP file to the folder where you had the Portable version. Overwrite all existing older files.
- open the HDSData folder and delete the HDSentinel.ini file (the file containing the settings) to then start with default settings.
This way all statistics, logs, registration details will remain.

Then if you enable the XML file creation, it will be automatically placed in the above mentioned HDSData folder under the Portable version.
If you move to a different system and the logical drive associated with the pendrive changes, the function will follow and the XML file will be placed in the correct folder.

Thanks for increasing the attention!