Unable sort/order properly tray temperature icons

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
typhoon

Re: Unable sort/order properly tray temperature icons

Post by typhoon »

OK, will wait for the update then.
Thanks.
V@no

Post by V@no »

Any updates on this issue?

hdsentinel wrote:Hard Disk Sentinel designed to always maintain all of its icons together. So it always show / hide all icons together, exactly to keep them together and to be displayed in the proper order.
Please let us - the users, make decision on which icon we want to be always visible and which hidden, let us - the users, sort the icons, don't attempt "maintain all of its icons together", don't "show / hide all icons together" it doesn't work, please stop it.

And please stop blaming it on OS, the two sentences above clearly indicating that it's HDSentinel fault by attempting something that no longer is valid in latest OS'es.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

> Any updates on this issue?

No, I'm afraid no.
I found no better solution until now. Did investigations and attempts - and will try further changes.
However, I did not want additional delays in the updated version, so it released without modification in that area.
Even tested on numerous systems, I could not reproduce any issue you mentioned, I did not see any grouping / moving issue.

> Please let us - the users, make decision on which icon we want to be always visible and which hidden,

This is completely true and agree. This is why it is possible to configure this: on Configuration -> Hard disk drives page it is possible to control which tray icons should be visible and which not.

> And please stop blaming it on OS, the two sentences above clearly indicating that it's HDSentinel fault by
> attempting something that no longer is valid in latest OS'es.

In the OS, you can also adjust this, re-arrange / re-order icons. If the OS does not "remember" that, it is not really HDSentinel fault...

As promised, I try the best to improve the situation in all possible ways. Just if there may be higher priority things, this may be delayed a bit.
Sorry for the troubles and thanks for your patience.
V@no

Post by V@no »

I cannot believe you are not able reproduce this.
If it reproducible on virtual computer, it should be reproducible on any computer running a virtual system. I've tested it on VMWare and VirtualBox, with 6 virtual hard drives, running Windows 7 and 10 as guest OS, everything default, downloaded HD Sentinel Pro Portable directly from this website, the only change I made was enabled tray icons for the hard drives.

I can setup a remote desktop of some sort for you see and test it if it helps, or provide VirtualBox files (OS will need to be installed separately)

Here is video from VirtualBox: https://youtu.be/n1_cy5CKfCc
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and the information.

Yesterday tried again and yes, I saw similar on one of the test systems.
Now I see what you mean and to be honest, I have NO idea why this happens, but not caused by Hard Disk Sentinel.

Such troubles could happen generally when a software does not use different ID values for the icons it displays and then Windows may not able to properly maintain the list of icons displayed by the software. But if you double click on the tray icons, you may notice that Hard Disk Sentinel automatically selects the proper disk - which confirms that each icons have proper IDs so they could be properly managed by the OS.

I'll surely perform further testing and investigation as I'd like to know what causes this and what we can do against such.
Read articles and details about managing multiple icons - and they contain no useful information about why _Windows_ groups the icons this way and does not allow to be sorted/ordered one-by-one.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

I did not see this previously because I tested with normal systems, not inside virtual boxes, where hard disk status is not available (so there may be no point in running the software).

Yes, I saw similar what you recorded in virtual box only, exactly as you wrote. On normal systems where real hard disks present with complete status information I did not see similar - tray icons can be moved one-by-one as should and re-sorted / arranged as preferred (just checked on both Windows 7, Windows 8 with 6-8 hard disks and SSDs).

Anyway, still trying to understand the possible difference in virtual environment.
Somebody

Post by Somebody »

Hello,

I'm new here and would like to greet everyone first. Please excuse my bad english.

Have the same problem with 20 HDs on 3 controllers (MB-Raid-SATA, e-SATA-Raid-Card [Port Multiplier], USB3.0-Card). The system (OLD Bios) includes MBR (Both) and GPT hard drives (under XP with Paragon GPT-driver).

Everything works perfectly under XP - 1a :D. Both in the OS-Diskmanagement, as well as in HDS, the HDs and the icons are displayed after starting in the correct order, as connected, 0,1,2,3,4 ... to 20. HDS will be started manually later, because sorting under XP is not possible.

Under W7 ff. that's different. W7 ff. are spinning powerfully. Already from the OS, the disks in the Diskmanagement are confused, e.g. here a 4TB (GPT) at internal-SATA-1 = HD 0 and the Boot-HD (MBR) at internal-SATA-0 = HD 1, although they are connected other. As can be read from forums, that is not manually changeable.

In HDS under W7 ff., the tray icons (as in a dice game) are always displayed in different order (for example, 7,18,10,3,6 ...) after each start. Mostly 2 or 3 are connected, sometimes up to 5. It always varies. Very rarely does the move work once with 1 icon.

It does not matter if the system start normal or virtual. It does not matter if HDS is started "with Windows" or manually later.

The problem seems to be related to the changed Diskmanagement of VISTA/W7 ff.

With other programs already mentioned above, the problem of sort confusion and tray icon connections does not exist.

Tested: Tray-Icons monitoring/visible on/off. No impact. After restoration tray icons connection persisted.

Can it possibly be due to the use of expansion cards or GPT-HDs? It's only a possibility ...

A fix for the problem would be really good.

greetings
Somebody

Used: HDS 5.01 Beta 11 (Build 8557)
- with HDS 5,01 Final (Build 8557) it's the same
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message!

Still researching the situation, so collecting thoughts, experiences - as these may help to find a working solution.
Please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, as would be nice to check the actual situation.
Personally I do not think it's related to the disk controller or the format (GPT/MBR) of the drives at all, but maybe something in the OS: version / build number or so.
The report may be useful and give some ideas.

If you have some time, please try this:

- use Configuration -> Integration -> Use as Service button.
This switches the software to run as NT Service (runs in the background "silently", without displaying the main window and tray icons at all

- start Hard Disk Sentinel Tray shortcut.
This displays tray icons - in slightly different method than displayed by the "main" Hard Disk Sentinel software.

Would be nice to verify the situation: is it work 100% completely same OR differently (better or worse) in terms of tray icons?

After that, you may use the "Stop Service" shortcut to stop the service and when asked, you can switch back to normal, application mode.

Checking the tray icons this way may help to find solution.
Investigated lots - but until now, could not always reproduce and found no real way to improve.
This is why things did not change yet (but it does not mean there is no researching, investigation and attempts).
V@no

Post by V@no »

We've been communicating via email regarding this issue and I've been offered test a beta version hdsentinel_pro_setup_50113-trdds.zip which 100% fixed this issue for me. It's been 6 months since I've been using it and not a single issue with tray icons, they always stay at the same order and each icon can be moved independently.

So, was this issue fixed in latest v5.30? I don't see anything mentioned in the changes log.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

As this change introduced in 5.01.13 version, yes, I can confirm that ALL newer / updated versions have it.

This includes 5.30 but as this is not the first non-beta version with this change, it is completely normal and expected that changelog of 5.30 does not mention it.

But if you check the 5.20 changelog (as 5.20 was the first non-beta after 5.01.13), you may notice:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/revision520.php

completely redesigned tray icon handling: better sort/move/order tray icons under Windows 7, 8.1, 10

5.20 released in March, not so long after the 5.01.13 version sent to you for testing ;)
Sorry that you may missed it, but of course you can update to 5.30 any time by the automatic update from File menu, it updates to the newest version.
V@no

Post by V@no »

Current v5.61 returned to old behaviour.. :(
I can't say from which version it started again though, I just noticed, that for no reason my tray icons jumble up as in HDS icons mixes up with other program's icons (I assumed it was an update in the background), attempting move one icon moves several instead.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

I can confirm that since the update in version 5.20, the tray icons are not modified in any ways, all newer versions use the same code.

If you see the "old behaviour" then it means Hard Disk Sentinel could not use the "new" method introduced in version 5.20
According the experiences/tests during development, it could happen (for example) if there are multiple Hard Disk Sentinel versions used/installed on the same computer in different folders. Then Windows may allow the "correct" (new) method for only one instance.

Generally Hard Disk Sentinel always try the "new" method and use the "old" only if really required. This is same in 5.20, 5.30 ... and the latest one (including all betas between these). So there is no change in this area in any version.

But if you prefer, you can any time return to any previous version, you can find older versions on the bottom of the Downloads page ( https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php )
V@no

Post by V@no »

hdsentinel wrote:If you see the "old behaviour" then it means Hard Disk Sentinel could not use the "new" method introduced in version 5.20
According the experiences/tests during development, it could happen (for example) if there are multiple Hard Disk Sentinel versions used/installed on the same computer in different folders. Then Windows may allow the "correct" (new) method for only one instance.
That's the thing, this "old" method gets activated while HDS was running with "new" method. Only one instance of HDS is installed on this computer. Does HDS able update itself without user interaction, in which case that could the culprit (aka running multiple instances)?
Somebody

Post by Somebody »

Hello,

sorry, forgot answer, Thanks, works properly. :D

Best regards
Somebody