Erroneous and frequent critical temparature warnings

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
NotesTracker

Erroneous and frequent critical temparature warnings

Post by NotesTracker »

I have two Hitachi drives on my system which tend to run hotter than other brands of drives, one of the Hitachi drives more so that the other.

Recently, as shown in the attached image for HD Sentinel version 4.71, that particular hot-running drive has been causing frequent warning pop-ups about the need to improve the drive cooling (which is beyond my control, anyway, so I have to live with the drive running hotter that the others).

This warning dialog has become very irritating due to its frequency. Not only that, the "Hard disk problem" dialog keeps occurring after I increased the critical temperature threshold to 58 Celsius yet still get complaints about the temperature having reached 53 Celsius. It happens even just after the system is resumed from sleep mode, when all the disk temperatures are well below 30 Celsius.

There seems to be something going wrong here. Comments? Can this be fixed (soon)?
-- Cheers, Tony Austin.
Attachments
HDsentinel_critical_temperature_warning.jpg
HDsentinel_critical_temperature_warning.jpg (76.8 KiB) Viewed 3265 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Erroneous and frequent critical temparature warnings

Post by hdsentinel »

> Recently, as shown in the attached image for HD Sentinel version 4.71,

Excuse me, but this image is NOT related to Hard Disk Sentinel.

Exactly to be much more user friendly, Hard Disk Sentinel would never display a such big, offensive notification about temperature, just shows more discrete alert over the tray icon, especially not after wake up, when the temperatures should be lower.
And especially to be not "offensive", Hard Disk Sentinel would display the notification only once, not in a such frequent way.

Also Hard Disk Sentinel has numerous options to control temperature alert thresholds, not only globally at Configuration -> Thresholds/Tray Icon page, but also independently for each drives: if you select the Temperature tab, in the upper right corner it is possible to set/modify custom temperature thresholds for any of the drives running with slightly higher temperature, just to prevent unwanted alerts.

So I'm afraid this message is related to some other tool, running completely independently from Hard Disk Sentinel.

> This warning dialog has become very irritating due to its frequency.

I completely understand and agree. Personally I'd also not accept that, this is exactly why Hard Disk Sentinel is designed to be better.

> It happens even just after the system is resumed from sleep mode, when all the disk temperatures are well below 30 Celsius.

Wow :)

> There seems to be something going wrong here. Comments? Can this be fixed (soon)?

Yes, I completely agree. I hope that other tool can be fixed - or may be better: uninstalled.