Multiple monitors issue

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
NotesTracker

Multiple monitors issue

Post by NotesTracker »

My main work system has four monitors arranged thus:
-------------------------- [ Top ] ----------------------------
---- [ Left ] ---------- [Centre ] ---------- [ Right ] ----

The [ Left ] monitor is the default one, the so-called "main display" and is where I want all HD Sentinel windows to appear.

I usually have the top monitor switched off, only using it when required, but am finding that HD Sentinel puts some of its windows there even when these windows were previously opened in the main display and so should "remember" this (and subsequently always open the windos on this main display).

So, with the [ Top ] display usually switched off, it can be puzzling why an expected window is not visible, until after a while I realise what's happening. Having window positions "forgotten" like this is not desirable.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Multiple monitors issue

Post by hdsentinel »

Generally, I can confirm that Hard Disk Sentinel remembers the position of all of its windows: both the main window and the smaller status window (if used to show some information).

This is done by saving the actual coordinates, positions of the windows. Then on next startup, it automatically positions the windows where they last shown.

> finding that HD Sentinel puts some of its windows there even when these windows were previously opened in the
> main display and so should "remember" this (and subsequently always open the windos on this main display).

This sounds interesting. Generally its windows should appear where they were previously: so if you had on the main display, then next time it should be displayed there. There can be problem only if you move to the [ Top ] display and then next time that display is not powered on. If this happens, then yes, there is chance that the windows may be displayed outside the visible area.

> Having window positions "forgotten" like this is not desirable.

I 100% completely agree, this is exactly why generally Hard Disk Sentinel saves the positions of its windows.

If you see such situation next time, please send your HDSentinel.ini file from the folder of the software to info@hdsentinel.com address.
This way it is possible to check the last saved coordinates, verify what recorded and check how they may be related to the current display environment (eg. verify how they can/should be adjusted to be visible on the main display).