cannot send email SMTP via Outlook/Hotmail account

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
HardDiskSentinel

cannot send email SMTP via Outlook/Hotmail account

Post by HardDiskSentinel »

I have a Hard Disk Sentinel Pro license, running v4.71 Pro. I would like to use an Outlook.com (Hotmail) account to send emails from HDS.

When I attempt to use the account, I only get errors. While you offer the "Use SSL" option, you don't explicitly offer TLS; thus:
- if I use port 587 while checking "Use SSL", this error occurs: "Connection Closed Gracefully."
- if I use port 587 while not checking "Use SSL", this error occurs: "Must issue a STARTTLS command first."
- if I use port 25 while checking "Use SSL", the connection waits a long time and then this error occurs: "Socket error # 10060"
- if I use port 25 while not checking "Use SSL", the connection waits a long time and then this error occurs: "Socket error # 10060"
- if I don't specify a port while checking "Use SSL", the connection waits a long time and then this error occurs: "Socket error # 10060"
- if I don't specify a port while not checking "Use SSL", the connection waits a long time and then this error occurs: "Socket error # 10060"

Therefore, it appears that the protocol implementation necessary to support Outlook.com/Hotmail authentication is not integrated.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: cannot send email SMTP via Outlook/Hotmail account

Post by hdsentinel »

Generally, TLS is automatically used when required, when port 587 specified, this is why there is no separate option for that.
So if you enable the SSL and specify port 587, things should work (this is how it works for Gmail too).

Excuse me for the issue. I'll examine outlook.com / hotmail.com account and try to reproduce, investigate what can be wrong and how things can be improved.
May I ask which OS do you use? So then I'll try to reproduce / investigate under that first.
HardDiskSentinel

Thank you for the reply.

For this particular machine, I am using Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Just verified, there are no problems, e-mails sent.

Did you try with the correct smtp server smtp-mail.outlook.com with port 587 + SSL?
That works correctly, see attached image (made under in just installed Win10x64)

HardDiskSentinel

Thanks.

Yes, that's precisely what I've got. Please see image attachment.
Attachments
config.jpg
config.jpg (168.39 KiB) Viewed 9732 times
HardDiskSentinel

I looked into this further and discovered I was getting SMTP server response 550 5.3.4 554-554 5.2.0 S.

Turns out that Outlook.com was blocking SMTP send on my account, for no apparent reason.

I cleared it up with Microsoft and sending is working now. Sorry for the false alarm, and thank you for your proactive help.