Hard Disk Sentinel grabs focus when a disk is inserted

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
nabsltd

Hard Disk Sentinel grabs focus when a disk is inserted

Post by nabsltd »

Whenever a disk is inserted (only tested with USB, as that's all I have handy that are removable), Hard Disk Sentinel 4.71 Pro grabs focus, even if it is minimized to the system tray. So, instead of having whatever program you were using still have focus, the Hard Disk Sentinel window (or the Windows Taskbar, if HDS is minimized to tray) gets the focus.

This is most obvious if you have multiple monitors or use any virtual desktop program, but even with a single monitor setup, if you are doing something like trying to open a document in a word processor, insert a thumb drive, then the dialog loses focus, so you have to click on it again to even start to open the thumb drive. This is really annoying if you are used to navigating by keyboard.

Possibly related to this, every day at midnight (local time), Hard Disk Sentinel grabs the focus. If it was sending a daily announcement, I would understand it, but this happens regardless of any settings for sending alerts.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Hard Disk Sentinel grabs focus when a disk is inserted

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, this is possible and confirm that it is normal (not really a bug) if Hard Disk Sentinel minimised.
Then its main window is diplayed to reflect the change of configuration when it detects change in the storage configuration (for example a removable drive inserted or removed) and automatically at midnight when it performs a "fresh" detection.

What happens if you use the close (X) button in the main window, instead of the minimise?
Generally the situation is similar (the window should be not visible) and then the main window should be not displayed, the focus may remain as it were previously.

If this does not help, I'd recommend to use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option. Then it is possible to check the actual situation, verify what can be in the background.
nabsltd

Post by nabsltd »

hdsentinel wrote:Yes, this is possible and confirm that it is normal (not really a bug) if Hard Disk Sentinel minimised.
No, it's a bug, because it grabs focus, but the main window is not shown. I could understand it happening if the main window got shown (although that would be a really annoying programming decision). So, what gets the focus is the task bar.
Then its main window is diplayed to reflect the change of configuration when it detects change in the storage configuration (for example a removable drive inserted or removed) and automatically at midnight when it performs a "fresh" detection.
When I'm playing an online game and suddenly I'm no longer moving around just because midnight comes along, that's a bug. Programs that are minimized to the tray should never grab focus unexpectedly, unless there is a critical situation that must be dealt with instantly.
What happens if you use the close (X) button in the main window, instead of the minimise?
No change. You know, you could test this yourself in about 10 seconds.
If this does not help, I'd recommend to use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option. Then it is possible to check the actual situation, verify what can be in the background.
I did this. I hope it helps, but I suspect I will have to stop running Hard Disk Sentinel continuously (which negates a lot of its usefulness) and just run it every week or so to check that everything is OK.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Excuse me for the troubles.
However, I can confirm that it should work exactly as you wrote: if the main window is not visible, it does not repaint, does not "steal" focus of course.
I wonder what may cause this weird behaviour on your system.

> No change. You know, you could test this yourself in about 10 seconds.

I tested it but did not notice.
Thanks for the report, I'll try to investigate and reproduce in similar environment and verify what can be in the background - and what can be done to improve the situation.