storectrl.dll faulting

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
Skirge

storectrl.dll faulting

Post by Skirge »

I just noticed that I've been getting a fault in Event Viewer for quite some time. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and using the latest non-beta version of HD Sentinel (4.40 PRO build 6431) in service mode, using the strict analysis. The fault seems to happen at least every 5 minutes, which I know is the default detection frequency. HD Sentinel does SEEM to be working just fine, however, I'm still concerned about the faults.

Here are the details from Windows:

Faulting application name: storectrl.dll, version: 4.17.0.0, time stamp: 0x504f4d8e
Faulting module name: ole32.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7b96f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0013ad59
Faulting process id: 0x9cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cec5cea44ce6e4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Hard Disk Sentinel\storectrl.dll
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\ole32.dll
Report Id: e3315d18-31c1-11e3-8f18-000c29e236ac
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: storectrl.dll faulting

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and the information.

Generally, storectrl.dll is a module which is used to access hard disk information managed by some special devices (eg. some SATA/SAS RAID controllers, hard disk enclosures and so).
Not sure, but do you have such device(s) in your environment?

The best would be if you can use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option in Hard Disk Sentinel (in application mode) as then it is possible to check what may happen and how to improve the situation.
Skirge

Post by Skirge »

I submitted a test report as requested. Also, I am running an IBM M1015 which has been flashed with LSI9211-8i firmware to IT mode. Additionally, it may be helpful to know that my entire server is running under ESXi 5.0 with the 9211 in passthrough to the VM running HD Sentinel.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the report and the information !

Yes, to be honest, I'm not surprised, as the storectrl.dll is mostly used for this RAID controller family.
I suspect the problem may be that the current driver of the controller does not respond correctly when the storectrl.dll tries to enumerate all hard disks connected. If possible, I'd recommend to check if there may be different driver (as the current released may be old) available.

Not sure if the issue is related to ESXi, but it is possible.

Still investigating the issue and trying to reproduce the problem, I'll send further questions about the actual situation in e-mail.
bvonn

Post by bvonn »

Hi. Was there an update to this that I couldn't find in my searches? I'm getting an error from the same dll, and all of my internet searching keeps leading me to this post and another where a possible driver update for the card is mentioned.

Faulting application name: storectrl.dll, version: 5.53.0.0, time stamp: 0x53269bc6
Faulting module name: storelibir-3.dll, version: 2.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x51fc24c1
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0004be82
Faulting process id: 0x498c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6391d1374ba65
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Hard Disk Sentinel\lsi2\storectrl.dll
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Hard Disk Sentinel\lsi2\storelibir-3.dll
Report Id: daada134-f2df-4695-a1aa-8db96cdab126
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have two lsi cards, both 9305-24i. They're using the latest driver from 2018. If this is something that can't be fixed, do you know of a way to get it to stop popping up in the event log? Every time the drives are polled for s.m.a.r.t. data, this event is logged in the event viewer.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes of course, there were always updates for such controllers and all similar issues already modified, fixed in all possible ways.

If you check the revision history for any versions, you may notice that almost all updates of Hard Disk Sentinel shows

"improved compatibility with LSI RAID controllers" or similar.

For example:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/revision.php
https://www.hdsentinel.com/revision550.php
https://www.hdsentinel.com/revision530.php
https://www.hdsentinel.com/revision520.php

etc.

To examine the situation, what can cause troubles on your system, please do as suggested above:

The best would be if you can use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option in Hard Disk Sentinel as then it is possible to check what may happen and how to improve the situation.