Standard user under windows 7

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
idoru

Standard user under windows 7

Post by idoru »

Hi,

I used a trial version to check my mum's computer and had trouble setting hdsentinel.

It's a windows 7 family premium x64 with UAC on. I've installed hdsentinel under the administration account N°2 then with administration account N°1, I've downgraded the N°2 to simple user : HDsentinel failed to launch.
I've also tried Nircmd.exe with this command line:
nircmd.exe runas <administration_account_name> <password> "path_to_hdsentinel" to no success

the next with elevated command didn't work either :
nircms.exe elevatecmd runas <administration_account_name> <password> "path_to_hdsentinel"

Does someone know how to launch hdsentinel under user rights under windows 7 ?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Standard user under windows 7

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message, but I'm afraid this is not really a bug.

Hard Disk Sentinel requires to run with one of the Administrator accounts .
If you downgrade the user rights to simple (non-admin) account, it will not work.

If you prefer to have it working in the backgrond when the non-admin user is active, you may consider using the "Service mode": then (when you start it as administrator), you can switch it to work as NT-Service, which means it will be active when non-admin user use the computer (or even if no user logged in at all). See http://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#q6 and Help -> Components of the application -> Configuration -> Integration for more information.

Then you can use the Hard Disk Sentinel Tray (in the context of the non-admin user) to get visual notification (tray icons with temperatures and possible warnings) about the drive status.
idoru

Post by idoru »

That's already what I thought and what I've seen but considering that I'm setting this to allow my mum to better monitor her HDDs as she's lost her files recently due to an HDD failure, setting it as a service is an half solution (I'm okay that's better then nothing).

There's one thing tho I don't understand, you said :
1. use the service mode for non admin user, thus no tray..
2. use the tray in to see notifications in non admin user..

but ther is no tray, or I've missed something
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

If you check the Hard Disk Sentinel program group, you may notice a "Hard Disk Sentinel Tray" shortcut there.

When Hard Disk Sentinel is running in service mode (which mean that it runs in the background, even if no user logged in - or a user with limited user rights logs in), then you can start this "Hard Disk Sentinel Tray" to get the tray icons to show the temperature and possible problems - and also to get complete hard disk status when required (double click on the tray icon showing temperature).

For security reasons other parts of the software (for example configuration, hard disk tests and so) are not available this way, so the user can only have visual indication via the tray icons, but it will display if something is wrong.