Support for Fantec QB-35US2

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
Hans Meiser

Support for Fantec QB-35US2

Post by Hans Meiser »

Hi!
I recently discovered Harddisk Sentinel and I wonder if I could use it to watch over my media library. A quick test showed me, that the Fantec QB-35US2 seems not to be supported, as HDS only shows the first HD out of four.

So my question is: Does HDS support the Fantec QB-35US2 and if so, how can I make HDS show all four HDs?
If not, will it be supported some time near?

I really like to buy this software if the Fantec QB-35US2 would be supported.

Setup:
Zotac ZBOX HD-ND01
4GB RAM
Win 7 x64
Fantec QB-35US2 with 4x HDD connected via USB
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Support for Fantec QB-35US2

Post by hdsentinel »

Hi !

Thanks for your message.

According the previous experiences about this enclosure, the problem is that the USB-ATA chip in this enclosure always provide disk status information for the first one hard disk only. That's why only the status of that one disk is detected and displayed.

If possible, can you please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option (with latest Hard Disk Sentinel 3.70 or even in a newer beta available on www.hdsentinel.com/dl.php )
That way I can examine the detected information and verify the situation. That will show if things could be improved.

If there would be a workaround, it will be surely added as the most important is to offer the highest compatibility.
Just sometimes the USB enclosures do not allow detection of further information due to limitation of the USB bridge chips. You may find more information at http://www.hdsentinel.com/compatibility ... ddisks.php
Hans Meiser

Post by Hans Meiser »

I sent you the report.
Thanks for your affort.
Boris

Post by Boris »

Hello to all. The same by me. I have the QB-35US2 by Fantec with USB connection. The first HDD is monitoring. The other three HDDs are not. Is there way to support QB-35US2 in the next versions of Hard Disk Sentinel?
Thanks in advance for your attention.

P.S: I will sent today my test report to developer too
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

These enclosures are constantly analysed to check how they work and trying to get further information about the drives.
According the tests, some such multi-bay enclosures (like this model) always provide the status of the first hard disk.
If this happens, Hard Disk Sentinel uses a filter to make sure this status should be displayed only to the proper drive
(preventing invalid information displayed for the other drives).

Thanks for the disk report, they always help in development and if there's a chance to get further information, I'll immediately provide a new version for testing so you can test.

Ps. I sent information in e-mail also!
Boris

Post by Boris »

Thanks for the immedialtely respond. I will sent you mail back with picture on the back side of the QB.
Last edited by Boris on 2012.01.10. 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks!
I'm checking the possibilities and will immediately let you know any updates!