Support for the Intel Matrix Raid Controller

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
DR.B

Support for the Intel Matrix Raid Controller

Post by DR.B »

Hello,

first congratulations on a wonderfull product! I was looking for several days to find a good HHD tool and found it. :D

I am running your program on a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise server. All standard SATA and SCSI drives are detected perfectly only one onboard INTEL Matrix Raid controller (Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller (RAID)) that is configured as a RAID 0 is not supported.
Do you plan to support the Intel Matrix Controller in the future?

Best regards and thanks again,

Frank
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Support for the Intel Matrix Raid Controller

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks so much for your kind words!

Of course, there are plans to support Intel RAID controllers as well - but the support requires the cooperation of Intel also.

The Intel ICHxxR RAID controllers do not provide access to the hard disks connected and configured into RAID arrays.
As you noticed, the controller completely hides all physical disk information - that's why the real disk type and S.M.A.R.T. information (including temperature and health) are not displayed, just you can see a "virtual" device instead of the real disk models.

Many IDE/SATA/SAS RAID controllers have a special function which allows detection of more information in this situation (so these controllers are already supported in Hard Disk Sentinel. These are listed as supported RAID controllers at http://www.hdsentinel.com/compatibility ... ollers.php )

We asked Intel many times to verify if the ICHxxR controllers also support this detection by a special way. Unfortunately, there were no response received in the past years from them.

Of course we'd happily support their controllers - but it requires some information from Intel. As soon as they would respond and confirm that it is possible, support will be added to Hard Disk Sentinel immediately.
klauzser

Post by klauzser »

I wonder if this has already happened, or maybe I am just missing something. Do latest version supports Intel Matrix RAID Controller?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes of course, Intel Matrix RAID controllers are supported long time ago.
Please upgrade to latest version as it immediately detects and displays complete disk status.
klauzser wrote:I wonder if this has already happened, or maybe I am just missing something. Do latest version supports Intel Matrix RAID Controller?