Support for Corsair F120

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
HDmonts

Support for Corsair F120

Post by HDmonts »

An out of the box new F-120 showed 15% bad sectors. Another F120 a few weeks old shows the same. We tested a 4 week old R-120 and it is still 100% perfect. Is it possible that HD Sentinel is not reading the F-120 properly or the F-120 is not yet supported. Do I have 2 bad drives? (At least F-120 drive is quite fast).
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Support for Corsair F120

Post by hdsentinel »

Please note that these bad sectors do not really cause problems (they are no longer used by the device), just reported by the device.
You may try the File -> Surface test functions to diagnose the complete SSD and this would confirm that the complete surface is usable.

Anyway, if you can use the Report menu Send test report to deveoper option, I can examine the details and verify if the information is reported properly for the current device (with actual firmware of the SSD).
HDmonts

Post by HDmonts »

Thank you fro your reply.
Does the program support the F-120?
Is 14% bad sector acceptable on a brand new drive?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, if you see the complete S.M.A.R.T. details and the attributes, then the device is supported in the software.
Most SSDs have an attribute showing the initial count of bad sectors (which are on the device, immediately before even the first use).
It is completely normal, you do not need to worry about them. However, I'd recommend to keep an eye on the health value to be notified when it changes.

As I wrote, the "Send test report to developer" option in the Report menu helps about each SSDs to verify how ALL S.M.A.R.T. attributes change over time, during usage. Such information help to diagnose these devices as they are relatively new and not used for a longer period - compared to HDD models.
HDmonts

Post by HDmonts »

I see on your list of supported drives, the F-120 is not included. The Corsair folks say it operates differently than the others in their line.
Could you send a one time key to the software so I can run the Send Test Report to Developer and sent it to you?
Thanks, Rick
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Hi Rick,

I agree, that's why it would be nice if you can send the report to compare with other Corsair devices. This way it is possible to verify how it reports the information compared to other Corsair models.

To use the Report -> Send test report to developer option, you do not need to have registered version of the software, you can use the current installed version to use this function.
HDmonts

Post by HDmonts »

I sent you the first 3 reports. I get an error 32 if I try to run the surface scan.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the reports (anyway, I only received only one :o )

As you may read, it is not an error. Hard Disk Sentinel just displays a warning that (because of the running OS and other applications) it cannot exclusively lock the hard disk during the test. It is not a problem - the test can run without problems, just click on the "Ignore" (continue) button to start the surface scan.
Adrian678

Post by Adrian678 »

We test and review the F120 SSD from Corsair, and SSD with read and write
Note that the firmware in the SSD has to support TRIM,