AMD SB850

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
Tupe

AMD SB850

Post by Tupe »

Hi,

I'm looking for a AMD Phenom™ II X6 motherboart (mostly ASRock 890FX Deluxe4 with AMD SB850 / Marvel SE9123/9120 chipset) that HD Sentinel can handle; can someone confirm that AMD SB850 chipset can have the individual drive statistics read back? (without any raid mode )

Thanks!
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: AMD SB850

Post by hdsentinel »

Until now no reports arrived about SB850 so I can't confirm that the drivers of the chipset support drive information detection or not.

But if you check the Compatibility page ( http://www.hdsentinel.com/compatibility ... ollers.php )
you may notice that SB700, SB750 and generally AMD controllers block the detection in AHCI mode. According the official response of AMD, the required function to detect disk information is missing from their AHCI drivers and they have no plans to fix it. So the only way to get S.M.A.R.T. information is to use Microsoft generic AHCI drivers (or disable AHCI mode).
This may or may not be true for SB850 as until now we had no opportunity to verify that chipset. Maybe users with such system can use Report menu Send test report to developer option which would confirm that the detection is working or not.
MaxL

Post by MaxL »

I have ASUS M4N89GTD Pro USB3 mobo with AMD SB850 onboard + JMicron 2port SATA both in AHCI sata mode, AMD drivers AHCI v1.2.1.282 (part of catalyst 11.3) 2 drives on AMD SATA none on JM.

HDD Sentinel 3.50 worx OK as of SMART.

Only "problem" I found so far, is that Advanced Power Management cannot be enabled and adjusted on Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 which is on AMD SATA, giving me error like:

Error occured while sending the command to the disk.
The disk controller or its driver does not support this function.

So its obvious some problem with driver cos this HDD can be APM enabled and adjusted over SiL 3132 + SiL based Port multiplier.

Anyway, sending report from this machine as well.

Best regards,
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the information and the reports!

Yes, the drivers of disk controllers / motherboards determine which disk functions are available and which are not.
So it is possible that APM and/or Acoustic Management functions are not available with the combination of some controllers and drivers - while everything works on an other configuration. As you experienced, SiI controllers are better in this area.

Anyway, we're constantly researching about possibilities and also try to "push" manufacturers so it is possible that the situation will be improved in a later version of the software and/or when a newer driver will be available.