hdsentinel-019c/e-x64 not detecting /dev/nvme10

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
T23KF

hdsentinel-019c/e-x64 not detecting /dev/nvme10

Post by T23KF »

Good day,

As in title. My HDSentinel doesn't detect the 11th NVME disk, which is fine and healthy, and did appear in the hdsentinel-019c/e-x64 output before adding an additional (eleventh) NVME drive. It specifically does not detect /dev/nvme10 and I suppose that when Linux shuffles the drive identifiers around after a reboot that another disk assigned /dev/nvme10 will fall off.

As formatted I tested this issue on these versions:
hdsentinel-019c-x64
hdsentinel-019e-x64

I'm not aware of a newer version than 019e so this might be on me if this has already been patched. I use https://www.hdsentinel.com/hdslin/hdsentinel-019*-x64.gz to download my versions.

Maybe this is digit related? As in /dev/nvme** instead of /dev/nvme*?

Thanks for a great program and everything beyond.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: hdsentinel-019c/e-x64 not detecting /dev/nvme10

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, this is "normal", not a bug: the Linux version of Hard Disk Sentinel scans only NVMe0-9 devices, so by default it detects up to 10 NVMe SSDs "only".

Good to hear there are bigger configurations: in such cases, I always recommend to please save a report with -r switch and send to info (at) hdsentinel (dot) com address. Such reports always help further development and always gives ideas how/what to expand - like now.

I suggest to download the latest 0.20 version as 0.19 is too old.

With Hard Disk Sentinel Linux 0.20 version, you can use the

-devs

command line switch to specify devices to be detected in addition to the default ones (see https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_linux.php ) for reference.

So by the -devs command line switch, you can specify to detect /dev/nvme10 too (in addition to the previous 10 NVMe SSDs) and you can also add further if more NVMe SSDs added ;)
T23KF

Re: hdsentinel-019c/e-x64 not detecting /dev/nvme10

Post by T23KF »

Alright, thank you for a very concise answer and solution! I'll send you the report via mail.