How to interpret test results?

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
galen

How to interpret test results?

Post by galen »

I just bought the Professional version yesterday and ran the Extended Self-Test. Are there any results to be viewed in any detail whatsoever other than "the test finished", "the test happened at [this] time", "the test was conducted on [this] Disk"? I didn't even get so much as a "this disk is fine" notice at the end of the test; it just said "the test completed successfully". There's obviously a huge difference between a test "completing successfully" and the Hard-Disk being tested "having no problems": a test can "complete successfully", but that doesn't mean that the Hard-Disk is fine.

This Dropbox folder has some relevant information for my recent tests.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/og3tw07nsdttmmhhypqwe/h?rlkey=o8admaanc2ddgxx9keza2elgp&dl=0
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: How to interpret test results?

Post by hdsentinel »

Personally I completely understand and agree with you - but I'm afraid this is "what we get" from the drive.

Generally when the hardware self tests (short self test, extended self test) started,
Hard Disk Sentinel has no "control" about how these tests run.

The software can only
- start the test
- read the progress in 10% increments
- read the error code (if there is any error) or read the completed status (if the test completes without errors).

The "the test completed successfully" is the official information as provided by the drive (this is why displayed in this form - as this defined by the manufacturer / standard).

This result (displayed as green) should indicate that the drive has no problem with its components.
If there would be any error with
- electronic component
- heads
- servo
- disk surface
or any other component of the drive, then the appropriate error message would be displayed with red exactly to indicate that there is something wrong.

Generally this limitation explained in the Help, please see:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/help/en/62_testfaq.html

"In some cases, these hardware tests (Disk -> Short self test, Disk -> Extended self test) are not available, not supported or they result in an error quickly even in relatively low number of problems. No further information is returned about the result, for example it is not possible to list the sector(s) which are damaged. In such case, an appropriate software testing method is required."

According the experiences, usually any (even minor) issue can cause that the test fails (which may not immediately mean failure of the drive). But if you see "the test completed successfully" you can assume that the "hard disk is fine".

But to be sure, personally I always recommend the combination of the hardware AND software tests (eg. use a Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read test too) as it would show more details, eg. possible retries, slowly accessible areas - which are not revealed by the hardware self test.

Please check:
https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#tests
galen

Re: How to interpret test results?

Post by galen »

Thank you for all of that helpful information. I have replied by e-mail.