Problem with HDS at windows 8

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
Nickos

Problem with HDS at windows 8

Post by Nickos »

I have installed several versions and tryed to use portable version too, but it always does the same thing. I click to open it and it doesn't open. I don't have an error, it's just don't do anything after i click it. I also tryied to run as admin, but it didn't work. Any ideas?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Problem with HDS at windows 8

Post by hdsentinel »

Do you have USB drive(s) / pendrives / card readers installed?
One user reported that an older USB drive caused such issue with Windows 8 as the USB drive does not respond correctly for the detection (possible a bug in USB driver). After the USB drive disconnected, the software starts without problems.

If this does not help, you may try the following on any system:

1) close HDSentinel (if running) maybe from Task Manager if required
2) please click on Start -> Search in Windows and enter CMD.EXE (or the similar method in Win8) then right click on the displayed CMD.EXE and select "Run as
administrator".
2) Navigate to the folder of the software by entering

CD "\Program Files\Hard Disk Sentinel" (or CD "\Program Files (x86)\Hard Disk Sentinel" on 64 bit system)

and then enter

HDSentinel.exe /REPORT /ENABLETEST

this should start the software and also save a HDSentinel_4.10 PRO_report.txt , and testmode.txt file to the folder of the software.
Maybe the report will not be generated - but the last entries of the testmode.txt would show the information we require as it may show which drive / device does not respond as should and cause that the detection may paused.

Nickos wrote:I have installed several versions and tryed to use portable version too, but it always does the same thing. I click to open it and it doesn't open. I don't have an error, it's just don't do anything after i click it. I also tryied to run as admin, but it didn't work. Any ideas?
Nickos

Post by Nickos »

It doesn't support the free agent seagate 320 gb external disk. Can i fix that?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

In general, Freeagent drives should work correctly when connected on USB channel, their status should be detected and displayed.
Do you see missing status (?'s are displayed instead of health and temperature) or the software does not start correctly when the Freeagent drive is connected?

Can you please use Report -> Send test report to developer (if the software starts correctly) or the files created by the /ENABLETEST /REPORT switches?
These would help to check the actual situation.
Nickos wrote:It doesn't support the free agent seagate 320 gb external disk. Can i fix that?
Nickos

Post by Nickos »

When i try to connect the drive, the hds frozes, so there is nothing that i can do while it is connected.
http://www.easybytez.com/hjg6hblhj7yx here is the file
tetrapackage

Post by tetrapackage »

You may want to try Seagate GoFlex. That is currently what I've been using and it is working so far.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks!
But this file does not help as the drive was not connected when it was created.

The most important would be to
- start HDS with the /ENABLETEST option when the drive is connected. Then we can see when the USB drive stops responding and causing the software to stop, waiting for the USB drive.
- have at least one report (by using Report -> Send test report to developer) option about the system if the USB drive is not connected (and maybe about a different system, eg. Win7 where the USB drive is working correctly just to check the USB drive details, USB bridge chip manufacturer and type).

I suspect the problem is more likely related to the actual Win8 USB drivers of the motherboard as it may cause that the USB device does not respond for the detection as should.
Nickos wrote:When i try to connect the drive, the hds frozes, so there is nothing that i can do while it is connected.
http://www.easybytez.com/hjg6hblhj7yx here is the file
Nickos

Post by Nickos »

The reports, and here is the testmode.txt with the driver connected http://www.easybytez.com/mh322bh6yg4l

The reports:
At windows 8 without the hard drive connected
http://www.easybytez.com/pqm7xte54bxi

At windows 7 with the hard drive connected
http://www.easybytez.com/wrblz5b55mwq

I could not send the reports with the way that you told me. It told me to send to an e-mail, so i thought i could upload them here
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks lots !
I'm still investigating the issue and will let you know any progress.
Maybe your firewall blocked the software from sending report (?), this may cause that the report could not be delivered....
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

As a temporary solution, you may try this:

Open Configuration -> Disk Control page and on the bottom select "Disable detection of USB/SCSI drives".
This will result that some detection code will not be executed and there may be no issue with this USB drive.
However, this may cause that the status of some other drives also not displayed (for example drives connected to the Silicon Image RAID controller), so it may not be the best solution, just a tip.
Nickos

Post by Nickos »

The HDS is no longer freezes, but as you said the status of some hard disks are not shown. I will try to send the report with the firewall off.
Nickos

Post by Nickos »

Still can't send it. It says to save and send to reports@hdsentinel.hu, or something similar. If you want, and the info i gave aren't enough, we can use teamviewer so you can have a better look.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks, as I checked the files, I suspect these give enough information to improve the situation.
Still making some tests and will provide an updated version in some days for testing.
Nickos wrote:Still can't send it. It says to save and send to reports@hdsentinel.hu, or something similar. If you want, and the info i gave aren't enough, we can use teamviewer so you can have a better look.
Nickos

Post by Nickos »

ok thanks. i am looking forward for the update.