Drive Health Varies based on the Computer it is in

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
Shadow351

Drive Health Varies based on the Computer it is in

Post by Shadow351 »

So I got a Red X on the DVR drive in my media server so I opened HDS and it reported the drive's health as 13%. I backed up the recordings on it and pulled the drive. I put the drive in my desktop and HDS is reporting the drive as 51% Health and a Green Check now.

I grabbed a 'spare' drive off my shelf, put it in each computer and in the desktop, HDS reports 66% Health and in the server, HDS reports 19% Health.

Why does HDS report such varying health readouts from the same drive just because of the computer it is attached to?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Drive Health Varies based on the Computer it is in

Post by hdsentinel »

I'd check the text description on the Overview page (in addition to the Health % value) as generally it should explain the results, what kind of issues detected.

There are numerous factors which can cause different Health % to be displayed. For example:

1) There is an option at Configuration -> Advanced options -> Health Calculation Method.
This determines how "seriously" Hard Disk Sentinel should count every issue / problem with the drive. Not sure, but there is good chance that different installations may have different settings (?) I recommend to set it to the "Analyse data field (default)" on all systems just to be sure.

2) There is an option also on this page: Configuration -> Advanced options -> Monitor Windows Event Log for problems related to disks and storage
If this option enabled, Hard Disk Sentinel detects and reports problems detected by Windows (in the current system) and the Health % also reflects them to increase attention. So moving the hard disk drive to a different system will immediately cause that these issues are gone - resulting in a different Health % value

3) It is possible that you may use different versions of Hard Disk Sentinel - and they may calculate Health % slightly differently for the actual model. Ensure to have the latest version on all the systems.

Without knowing the details (disk model, firmware version, reported problems etc.) hard to say more for sure, but if you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option about the drive, when used in different systems where you see different Health % values, I'd more than happy to check, compare and verify the results.
Shadow351

Re: Drive Health Varies based on the Computer it is in

Post by Shadow351 »

hdsentinel wrote: 2024.04.15. 14:49 1) There is an option at Configuration -> Advanced options -> Health Calculation Method.
This determines how "seriously" Hard Disk Sentinel should count every issue / problem with the drive. Not sure, but there is good chance that different installations may have different settings (?) I recommend to set it to the "Analyse data field (default)" on all systems just to be sure.
Ahh, yes It is set to "Analyse data field (more strict, recommended for servers)" on my server and 'default' on my desktop so that explains it. Been a while since I set it up so I forgot I set that.

Thanks