hdsdos doesn't execute

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
Lan-Di

hdsdos doesn't execute

Post by Lan-Di »

Hi,

I've been having trouble with the hdsdos.exe. It does not execute the exe, it simply hangs on c:\path\hdsdos.exe. I use it in pure dos.

How can i fix this problem?

Thanks,
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: hdsdos doesn't execute

Post by hdsentinel »

I suspect it should display something, at least the title and copyright text (this happens before any kind of hardware detection).
If this does not occur at all, then the EXE file may be corrupted or the media can't be read.

Do you use MS-DOS, PC-DOS, FreeDOS (or other kind of DOS)?
Do you have any memory manager running (none required)?
Do you use floppy, CD or pendrive for running HDSDOS?

The best would be if you can use the complete installer package for floppy or the CD-ISO available at http://www.hdsentinel.com/hdsdos.php
(some motherboards may not boot properly from USB, also some USB pendrives can cause such compatibility issues).
Lan-Di

Post by Lan-Di »

I'm using hdsdos.exe in MS-DOS ( i just boot from the USB pendrive ). I don't have anything else running, i just directly start from the exe file.

I tried the CD-ISO, but when i explore it when mounted in daemon tools theres nothing on it, not even with 'Hide protected OS files' disabled. Still i tried to start the iso in dos ( using HX DOS Extender to run iso's in dos ) but nothing happened, just an empty line.

I used hdsdos.exe on many different computers at work and a few at home. Before it used to work 9 out of 10 times, now it seems to work like 1 out of 10 times. I don't know what happened. I ofcourse did re-format / set up my USB pendrive and so on.

However, if i use Hirens Boot CD and boot HD sentinel that way, theres no problem at all, works 10 out of 10 times.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

I see.
Some systems may not boot properly from pendrives and some pendrives does not really work in this (DOS) mode.

What you wrote about the CD ISO is completely normal.
The CD seems to have no files on it (even when mounted) because the boot image is stored on a different part of the CD (it is an image of an 1.44 floppy disk and the files on that are accessible only when you boot from that CD. Then they appear in drive A: just like if it would be a real floppy disk drive).
So you may need to burn the ISO directly to a CD (or CD-RW media) and then you should be able to boot from it. It contains FreeDOS and HDSentinel which should run in all cases.

It may happen that it does not detect some disks when special disk controller(s) used as it is compatible with the generic ATA, AHCI controllers and some (mostly integrated) RAID controllers only. But at least the title of the software and the copyright (and possibly the detected disk controllers) should appear.
If this happens, we can investigate the current system to check if it possible to improve the detection.
For this, a Report menu -> Send test report to developer option (in the Windows version) may help lots as it contains information about the disk controllers and the configuration of hard disks (eg. which disk is connected to which controller and port).

There can be different issues, mostly with the pendrive. If it's a larger capacity, it is possible the DOS system can't access if properly (simply can't read HDSDOS.EXE). This may depend on the actual system, motherboard, BIOS also. In this case the boot CD method may work better.
firionicable

Post by firionicable »

I didn't know that running pendrives with anything else is absolutely normal. This is a good information. Great share!