DEVS: Can you please compile HDSentinel for ARMv8 (Arm64)?

Any new ideas, possible impromevents for future versions.
curiousdude

DEVS: Can you please compile HDSentinel for ARMv8 (Arm64)?

Post by curiousdude »

The three ARM versions of HDsentinel you have on your Linux page don't support ARMv8 (Arm64/Aarch64).

hdsentinel-018-arm: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, for GNU/Linux 2.0.0, stripped
hdsentinel-armv7: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, for GNU/Linux 2.0.0, stripped
hdsentinelarm: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.3, for GNU/Linux 2.0.0, stripped

Can you make a Linux version that uses the Aarch64 architecture? Called /lib/ld-linux-aarch64.so.1
I currently have a Synology NAS that uses this, and your Linux versions don't work on it. Could you please check if this is possible and let me know?
curiousdude

Re: DEVS: Can you please compile HDSentinel for ARMv8 (Arm64

Post by curiousdude »

Just additionally making a case, I think it's worth it if the devs put a bit of effort into this, because it makes HDsentinel available to SO many Synology devices. List here: https://github.com/SynoCommunity/spksrc ... logy-model

x20 Series
DS220j - synology_rtd1296_ds220j
x19 Series
DS119j
RS819
x18 Series
DS418j - synology_rtd1293_ds418j
DS418 - synology_rtd1296_ds418
DS218 - synology_rtd1296_ds218
DS218play - synology_rtd1296_ds218play
DS118 - synology_rtd1296_ds118

Additionally, there are a whole bunch of QNAP servers, as well as other NAS devices, which use ARMv8 processors (based on Arm64), so this would really really help owners of those devices.
There is an easy way to do this on desktop versions of Linux (such as Debian) by simply installing the needed architecture, such a solution was posted here: https://www.hdsentinel.com/forum/viewto ... 15&t=13398 But this doesn't work on NAS boxes, I already tried. Can one of the devs let me know if they can work on this?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and the suggestion.
As soon as I can get a such ARMv8 system to install the development environment and compile, a such ARMv8 version will be immediately released.
I'll look for the possibilities - and if you have the idea about how/where to get a such system for development/testing purposes, please let me know ;)
curiousdude

Post by curiousdude »

hdsentinel wrote:Thanks for your message and the suggestion.
As soon as I can get a such ARMv8 system to install the development environment and compile, a such ARMv8 version will be immediately released.
I'll look for the possibilities - and if you have the idea about how/where to get a such system for development/testing purposes, please let me know ;)
Thank you for your reply. I have a suggestion for a cheap ARMv8 device to test on: https://pine64.com/product/pine-a64-1gb-board/ It only costs $21, what do you think about it?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the tip, this is exactly what I'm looking for ;)
I'll order it soon and compile when it will arrive.

Ps. previously somehow I thought this board may have similar CPU as the Raspberry PI 4. Now I see it's different. Thanks for the info!
curiousdude

Post by curiousdude »

Hi there! Sorry to bother you, I know you're busy, but was just wondering if there was any update on this? Just curious, and thanks again.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

I sent a mail last week to you, maybe you did not receive it....

As the Pine64 out of stock and even I ordered Rock64, it still did not arrive yet. So I could not build specifically on that but installed 64 bit Linux to Raspberry PI 4 Model B and compiled Hard Disk Sentinel Linux under that. If I'm correct, that should work on your system as it has similar CPU, so if you have the opportunity, please check:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/hdslin/hdsentinel-armv8.bz2

and let me know the results. Maybe you can save a report with -r command line switch and send to info (at) hdsentinel (dot) com , just to confirm things (if it starts after decompression + setting the proper execute rights).
curiousdude

Post by curiousdude »

Thank you so much for compiling a version of HDSentinel for 64bit Linux. I downloaded and ran the file you posted on my Synology NAS, and can confirm that it's working for the most part. I have emailed you the -r report as you requested.

I only have one concern, some inputs in the report are replaced with "?", such as vendor information, temperature and health. Do you know why this is happening?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the confirmation and the report!
Yes, it seems the software can start and identify the disk drive, but could not access the disk status information at all. This is sometimes related to the chipset of the device (the NAS in this case).

The best would be if you can launch again with -enabletest command line parameter too:

./hdsentinel -enabletest -txt -r report.txt

This will create a testmode.txt file too with the "raw" communication between the disk and the software. It can give some information/details about what happens in the background and may give ideas
about what can be done to improve further for your particular device.

Please send the created testmode.txt and report.txt files together.

Thanks for your help !