running on Linux based routers?

Any new ideas, possible impromevents for future versions.
molnart

running on Linux based routers?

Post by molnart »

Is it possible to run HDsentinel on linux based routers like the Asus WL500gP? I have an extrenal hdd connected to the router which is in a smart enabled enclosure (as least from windows i am able to access the smart data of the hdd). The drive is running 24/7 as a small NAS. I would like to monitor the status of the hdd directly from the router, but when trying to run hdsentinel i get an error saying

Code: Select all

./hdsentinel: line 1: syntax error: unexpected "("
The router is running the Tomato firmware with Linux kernel 2.6.22.19
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: running on Linux based routers?

Post by hdsentinel »

In theory, it may be possible (and would be a nice idea), however, it was never tested yet.

It seems the NAS tries to interpret the file as a script (text file), that's why it displays "syntax error".
Did you set executable bit of the file (with use chmod 755 hdsentinel ) prior running it?
Do you have root access?
molnart

Post by molnart »

see the ls output below. permissions should be ok, and of course i am logged in with root privileges

Code: Select all

-rws--S--x    1 root     root        903232 Jul 21  2009 hdsentinel
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks !

Sorry, but I have no further ideas about how it is possible to use on this router :roll:
Hopefully I can get a such router for further researching and will try to find a solution.
molnart

Post by molnart »

i think i know whats wrong. HDSentinel is compiled for the x86 platform, while applications which can be run on the router need to be compiled for the mipsel target. if you could make a custom build, i would be glad to test it. but i understand that it could be too much hassle for nothing...
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

I see, I did not know what kind of CPU is used in the router.

HDSentinel Linux version is compiled using FreePascal.
As I see ( http://wiki.freepascal.org/MIPS_port ) such mips / mipsel platform may be possible but even the compiler is still in "under development" stage.
I'll investigate how it is possible and may make some "test" tools/builds for this target, just to see if we can advance to that direction.
molnart wrote:... it could be too much hassle for nothing...
Of course not for nothing ;) This sounds really interesting and I'm sure it would be nice to check HDD status this way!
firionicable

Post by firionicable »

I haven't tried checking mine this way. It looks like it works better.
James Crane

Post by James Crane »

I got that, thanks!