HDSentinel v6.01 error 5

Any ideas, thoughts - not necessary related to Hard Disk Sentinel.

HDSentinel v6.01 error 5

Postby C1234 » 2022.11.11. 11:30

Dear forrum, I use Win Server 2016 ess with multiple SATA Drives all has only one partition. The System is on drive C only, all others are data-HDDs. I am unable to start the surface test read-write-read. I get in all times error 5 (access denied). If I unmount the drive in the Windows-Partition-Manager, I get the same error. If I try the portable version on ct'NotWin (a Windows PE on a stick), The software blocks the import of my hdk-file.
How can I unmount the drive to perform the write-test. Thank you very much! (An please excuse my bad english.)
C1234

Re: HDSentinel v6.01 error 5

Postby hdsentinel » 2022.11.14. 11:16

The error 5 means that something is still preventing the drive to be locked for exclusive use which is required for the Read+Write+Read test. Not sure, but there is still an open file/folder or something similar which could prevent it.

Yes, in this case, booting from a Live PE Windows is a good idea: you can use Hard Disk Sentinel Pro Portable under that, to perform the disk testing.
Sorry for the troubles, but yes, the HDK file will surely not work: it is related to a completely different installation. In order to register/activate the Pro Portable version, you'll need to use the 15 digit license code again (not the HDK file).
Personally I recommend to prepare, register, activate Hard Disk Sentinel Pro Portable before booting from that live Windows.

Please refer to:

How to use Hard Disk Sentinel Pro Portable:
https://www.hdsentinel.com/kb/category/9/licensing/how-to-use-hard-disk-sentinel-pro-portable.html

How install on a different PC in general (which describes why the HDK file will not work):
https://www.hdsentinel.com/kb/category/1/licensing/how-to-install-hard-disk-sentinel-on-a-different-computer.html
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion