Further to Power on TIme for Lenovo drive

Any ideas, thoughts - not necessary related to Hard Disk Sentinel.
perdrix

Further to Power on TIme for Lenovo drive

Post by perdrix »

I posted yesterday about a Lenovo drive (IBM-ESXS WD4001FYYG-23S) showing an Estimated PoT of 136 days. That post hasn't appeared on the list yet.

This post is a follow up to that. I ran a Short Self Test, followed by a Long Self Test. Interestingly the Self Test results show power on time of 0 hours and 9 hours respectively which would be right for a drive with 0 hours on the clock when I connected it.

BUT the S.M.A.R.T. data Power on time now shows as 38,207,489 in its raw form which would *normally* translate to 442 days 5 hours 11 minutes. It's possible that this device reports POT in milliseconds which might make some sense given that 38,207.489ms translates to about 10 Hours 36 Mins and change. If that is the case - this is most unusual - I've never before seem a drive that reports PoT in SMART in ms - no point in doing that - asking for an overflow in the counter. I sent in a report from the machine in question. I hope that can cast some light on this.

Just looked again a PoT, now shows 39,845,889 which would tend to confirm it is counting ms rather than seconds.

David
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Further to Power on TIme for Lenovo drive

Post by hdsentinel »

> That post hasn't appeared on the list yet.

Yes of course, sorry for the delay.
Due to excessive amount of spam posts, all messages need to be approved one-by-one before they can be displayed.
This means that there is some delay in displaying posts, it is normal.

> BUT the S.M.A.R.T. data Power on time now shows as 38,207,489 in its raw form
> which would *normally* translate to 442 days 5 hours 11 minutes.
> It's possible that this device reports POT in milliseconds which might make some sense
> given that 38,207.489ms translates to about 10 Hours 36 Mins and change.
> If that is the case - this is most unusual - I've never before seem a drive
> that reports PoT in SMART in ms - no point in doing that - asking for an overflow
> in the counter. I sent in a report from the machine in question. I hope that can cast some light on this.

I just see that you already sent a developer report by Report menu -> Send test report to developer option.
Thanks for that, from the report I can see the situation:
your disk drive reports TWO different power on time values with different kind of information.
If you examine the S.M.A.R.T. page, you may notice:

Power on time 588 588
Power on time 38,535,169 38,535,169

Personally I've never saw similar that a drive reported two completely different values/information.
The first seems better (588 minutes = 9 hours 48 minutes) and not really sure why the drive reports a different value too which caused the confusion.

If possible, I'd recommend to do the following:

1) As I see, you used older version (5.40) so I'd first recommend to update Hard Disk Sentinel Pro to latest by using the automatic update from File menu.

2) Use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option to have a base-value by the new version

3) After some time (eg. 5-10 hours or even a day) use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option again. Just make sure that the drive should remain working (spinning), should not enter to sleep/standby as then the internal counters will not change.

This way it is possible to examine both values, their change - and make modification for this situation to display the correct power on time value.

Really interesting, thanks for your attention about this particular drive and situation.
perdrix

Post by perdrix »

It's beginning to look like the second one might be ms since most recent power on.

No that was wrong the first PoT timer has a value of 742 and the second one has a value of 48,627,714 right now

If the second one is ms that translates to 13 hours 30 minutes and change. But the first one (if minutes) only gives a PoT of 12 Hours and 22 minutes

VERY strange - I will send you another report
David
perdrix

Post by perdrix »

How are you getting on with a build to handle this? Do you need more data

Cheers
David
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the reports, I see the and working on the solution. Will surely send updated version for testing on the next week.
Thanks for your patience, help and your time!