Question HDD and badblock and dvd burn

Any ideas, thoughts - not necessary related to Hard Disk Sentinel.
cloudff7

Question HDD and badblock and dvd burn

Post by cloudff7 »

If a rar, zip or exe file is good in a good sector of the HDD and that sector becomes bad (badblock) then these files are corrupted and burned on DVD discs as if they were non-corrupted files? I use ImgBurn, BurnAware Free and Ashampoo Free
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Question HDD and badblock and dvd burn

Post by hdsentinel »

If the file (RAR, ZIP or any other file) located on a sector which was damaged and repaired then yes, there is chance that the file is corrupted.
If the sector is repaired then at least the file is readable, so at least you can copy (or burn, regardless of the software) it - but yes, it is possible that the contents of the sector may be damaged/altered. So if you extract the archive, one or more files inside could be unusable (will show CRC error).

Maybe good idea to add recovery record to archive files (RAR surely supports that) as it would help to extract in case the archive is damaged - both this way and/or if the DVD may become unreadable later.
cloudff7

Post by cloudff7 »

Can a file located in a bad HDD badblock sector be burned normally on a DVD disc?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

No, the file can't be read by the burning software, so you'd get a "read error". Similar result if you may try to copy the file to another disk drive.

In this case, you'd need the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Disk Repair in Hard Disk Sentinel Pro to fix the appropriate sector: this attempts to recover the data and restore the status to good status (or force the hard disk to replace the sector with a spare sector). The result is that the file could be copied (and burned), but it is possible that the contents (originally located on the unreadable sector) may be damaged.
cloudff7

Post by cloudff7 »

is there any burning software example ImgBurn that has the option "Ignore reading errors", if I check this option unintentionally and carelessly I will have a burned DVD disc with corrupted files because of the bad sector of the HDD?
cloudff7

Post by cloudff7 »

automatic reallocation of badblock bad sectors (HDD) is present in all drives that have SMART technology even the HDD IDE drives year 2000? and Windows XP?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, as you wrote: when the hard disk finds a problematic sector, it may try the re-allocation procedure: during that, the hard disk attempts to recover the data and copy to a spare sector. Then all further reads/writes are redirected to this spare area, the original bad sector is no longer accessible. Ideally the drive then work like "perfect".

This is described at:
https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#health

But this may not happen automatically, the sector can damage when it contains your data. Then the sector will be unreadable and the hard disk usually does not perform automatic reallocation at this point: the sector become damaged (weak / pending) and we'd need to "help" the hard disk to restore the status to normal - or to perform the reallocation.
These sectors usually (incorrectly) identified as "bad sectors" by chkdsk which does not perform real fix.

This is described at:
https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_ca ... ectors.php

The problem is that the reallocation is not always possible: in many cases, the contents of the affected sector is lost and even in the best outcome, you may expect a not stable operation and lower performance as the drive may "stuck" for longer time during reallocation (especially if there are multiple sectors affected).

Also when your hard disk has 100's (or even more) bad sectors already reallocated, then the chances of possible further problems (data corruption, data loss or even failure) higher. This is why we can accept some bad sectors - but not too many.
And in case of any degradation (one or more new bad sector detected) the best is to perform intensive testing to reveal possible further - and stabilize them, as described at
https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#tests
and
https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq_repair_h ... _drive.php
cloudff7

Post by cloudff7 »

about the automatic relocation and isolation of defective sectors is managed by the HDD firmware or by Windows? does this automatic function have a name? is present in IDE HDDs from the year 2000?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

It is done by the firmware of the hard disk drive. Completely independent from the actual Windows (or any other OS).
This function is called reallocation of bad sectors.
Yes, it is present in hard disk drives (and SSDs) supporting S.M.A.R.T. function but please note that some older IDE drives may have this function disabled by default (Hard Disk Sentinel enables if required).
cloudff7

Post by cloudff7 »

I had an IDE HDD of 2000 but I didn't know I forgot to activate this function so my HDD didn't perform automatic allocation of defective sectors? were my files at risk on this HDD?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Can't say for sure without knowing the actual status/situation and the status of the S.M.A.R.T. of the drive....

I'd recommend to check what Hard Disk Sentinel displays about the hard disk drive. That will enable the S.M.A.R.T. function - so you can check the current amount bad sectors and possible issues.

Plus I'd perform some tests with Hard Disk Sentinel on the appropriate disk drive, as described at:
https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#tests
exactly to confirm if the status is stable, correct - or reveal any possible problems.
cloudff7

Post by cloudff7 »

about the automatic relocation and isolation of defective sectors is managed by the HDD firmware or by Windows? does this automatic function have a name? is present in IDE HDDs from the year 2000?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Please see above, already answered:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/forum/viewto ... 191#p19068
cloudff7

Post by cloudff7 »

the automatic reallocation isolation bad sectors of HDD is present in IDE HDDs from the year 2000?