Extended Self Test vs Surface Scan

How, what, where and why - when using the software.

Extended Self Test vs Surface Scan

Postby hoarding__ » 2021.10.03. 12:23

Yesterday, I bought a new external hard drive, I've already done a surface scan on it and no bad sectors were found! I am currently in a rush, running an extended self test and wondering if I could skip it since the surface test was clean? Is it worth the risk skipping the self test? I mean, aren't these 2 types of scans kinda the same? Any help is much appreciated! :)
hoarding__

Re: Extended Self Test vs Surface Scan

Postby hdsentinel » 2021.10.05. 11:01

Yes, I can confirm that if you performed the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read test and it reported no yellow/red blocks, then the disk is fine and yes, you can skip the Extended Self Test.

Generally the Disk menu -> Extended Self Test would also perform a complete surface scan (like the above Read test) EXCEPT that
- the Extended self test may stop immediately on first error
- did not show the speed/performance of the actual sectors

So if you performed the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read test - then yes, you can skip the Extended Self Test.

Maybe if you want to be 1000000% safe, then you can use the Disk menu -> Short self test too. This is a relatively quick internal self test routine which checks the operation of the drive in general: verify the major components (without performing a complete scan). This quick self test routine is performed by the Extended self test too (just that performs complete surface scan).

So if you do the complete surface scan with the (detailed) Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read test and also you use the Disk menu -> Short self test (and none of them reports problems) then it is completely perfect.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Return to Questions