High Raw Read & Seek Error Rate on two new docked HDDs

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
BOWi_QC

High Raw Read & Seek Error Rate on two new docked HDDs

Post by BOWi_QC »

Hi!

I would like to report a possible needed improvement... unless I really have a problem...

Context: I bought two new HDDs, and I'm currently running simulataneous Extended Tests.

Attached, you'll find two screenshots of Raw Read Error Rate and Seek Error Rate statistic for a ST4000VN008-2DR166 IronWolf HDD.

I'm getting similar high numbers on an identical HDD (I bought two).

The diskd are plugged into a Vantec USA dock (https://vantecusa.com/products_detail.p ... Enclosures).

Here is why I'm worried, and why I hope it's just a lack of information:
  • The information pop-up which appears when I place my cursor over "Raw Read Error Rate" says: "Errors occurred while reading raw data from a disk. Indicate problem with the disk surface of the read/write head." It doesn't warn me about whether this could be caused by a test, or because I'm using an USB 3 dock.
  • The information pop-up which appears when I place my cursor over "Seel Error Rate" says: "Rate of positioning errors of the read/write heads. Indicate problem with the servo, head. High temperature can also cause this problem." This also doesn't warn me about whether this could be caused by a test, or because I'm using an USB 3 dock
So... I would like to know what's happening; and, if this is expected, maybe this should be explained in the pop-up / tooltip.
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2022-08-04 143357.png
Capture d’écran 2022-08-04 143357.png (168.05 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
Capture d’écran 2022-08-04 143424.png
Capture d’écran 2022-08-04 143424.png (168.62 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: High Raw Read & Seek Error Rate on two new docked HDDs

Post by hdsentinel »

Hi!

Thanks, but this covered numerous times in the forum....

By checking the raw value changes and the very high numbers for "Raw read error rate" S.M.A.R.T. attribute we may feel that there are hundreds of thousands (or even millions) of "errors".
I can confirm that this is not true.

This high value does not mean the number of errors: for Seagate drives, these numbers can increase to very high values which is completely normal.
The information pop-up which appears displays what kind of problem it would indicate - if it would be really problematic: then you'd not see a green tick mark next to the attribute.

This is why the attribute called as "error rate" (instead of error count) - because changing this value to very high does not indicate problems.

This is why Hard Disk Sentinel shows 100% health and PERFECT status on the Overview page.

Of course I can confirm that if there would be a real error, Hard Disk Sentinel would surely
- report in the text description
- show the degradation health value
- it would be detected by Disk -> Short self test or Disk -> Extended self test
- the Disk -> Surface test -> Read test could not be completed without problems

If you are interested in further information about this, please check this forum topic:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=735&p=973#p973
BOWi_QC

Re: High Raw Read & Seek Error Rate on two new docked HDDs

Post by BOWi_QC »

Sorry. I honestly don't remember whether I searched existing threads. My bad. I mostly looked in the included "Help" documentation.

This is why I mentionned that this should be mentionned somewhere inside HD Sentinel. :?