Survey about function: Backup configuration

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
evvivame

Survey about function: Backup configuration

Post by evvivame »

Hi,
I need your help ;)

With differents clients, differents o.s. ( XP & W7 Enterprise - RAM=4GB) and differents HDS PRO versions I have problems with the function in object.

Actions:

Configuration --> Update tab --> Backup configuration
In the right window, when I press “Salva” (Save):

- sometimes HDS self closed and self restart with these intems in the log.txt

20/11/2015 12.27.09.638 CLOSING 4.60.13 PRO HTTP:0, TCP:0
20/11/2015 12.30.36.915 4.60.13 PRO Thread creation error: Not enough memory to run the command
20/11/2015 12.30.36.918 4.60.13 PRO Memory: 39669760 ( ?? ) Threads: 24
20/11/2015 12.30.36.919 4.60.13 PRO Forced restart
20/11/2015 12.30.42.338 CLOSING 4.60.13 PRO HTTP:0, TCP:0

- sometimes nothing happens
- sometimes the configuration is correctly saved

If you have a bit free time, pls check if on your systems run all fine

Thanks very much for you collaboration!!
Attachments
save.jpg
save.jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 11893 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Survey about function: Backup configuration

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your attention and message !

Personally I'm also curious the results.

Generally, there are no problems with the function mentioned in the object "Backup configuration".

When you select that function, Hard Disk Sentinel begins saving its complete database, including the collected hard disk status, statistics, settings, registration details to a single file.
Usually this results a compact file (usually less than 100 kbytes), which can be load back later.

As you could see from the LOG, the computer reported "Not enough memory to run the command" when Hard Disk Sentinel attempted to allocate memory for a different thread to be used.

This is the question: why your system reports that, when there is enough memory available?

Hard Disk Sentinel does not use high amount of memory. Yes, on 64 bit systems and especially when there are lots of physical RAM available, it may use some memory for caching its database, but as you could see, when it added everything (code, data, cache, etc. used) it still used less than 1% of the physical memory. This confirms that NOT Hard Disk Sentinel allocated high amount of memory.

When Hard Disk Sentinel detects such condition (the system reports out of memory), exactly to keep things safe and fresh, on the next automatic detection cycle, it automatically unload and re-load itself, to clean up its cache, prevent memory "garbage" and work as freshly started.
This is an extra protection feature, to ensure that the software should be active, detect, report and alert on any problems.
The "Forced restart" shows that it restarts.

So I see no problems in the operation of Hard Disk Sentinel: it attempts to work even when the OS seems not stable (for example reports "out-of-memory condition"). And also I'm curious about why it's reported, why the memory seems fully used.

Maybe not really related to the amount of physical memory, but more related to GDI / user objects or so: the system can run out of such resources even if there is plenty of RAM available.
evvivame

Post by evvivame »

Hi,
I agree with you : it's very strange :)
Perhaps some friends can help us ;)...... for them thanks in advance!!!!

Sorry . isn't again clear what means the value "Memory" ( see red note "???" in the log.txt ) ..32GB ??

Again thanks for your great support !
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

> Sorry . isn't again clear what means the value "Memory" ( see red note "???" in the log.txt ) ..32GB ??

Absolutely not.

As I wrote, this is the total memory used by Hard Disk Sentinel on this system in bytes, including all code, data, database in memory, cache, etc..
this is why I wrote less than 1% of the total physical memory used by software.
evvivame

Post by evvivame »

Last new:

In the past, the "backup configuration" failed ( in my enviroment) 8 times on 10

After upgrade to v.4.71 RUN ALL FINE !

Thank to developer ;)
evvivame

Post by evvivame »

Update

History:
If I tray to save "HDSentinel.cfg", when I click on button "save" nothing happens ...

BUT if I overwrite an existent a file like donald.txt, the configuration is saved without any problems
Later i rename donald.txt to 2020.02.26_HDSentinel.cfg

This trick is tested !!

I wonder: does it only happen to me with different hardware, o.s. and HDS's version?
Thanks !