HD Sentinel reported 1 weak Sector but....

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
parata

HD Sentinel reported 1 weak Sector but....

Post by parata »

This morning I just realized that HD Sentinel reported that my hdd health drop 99% because there are 1 weak sectors. (it was first reported 6/9/2018)
first event.png
first event.png (25.07 KiB) Viewed 3145 times
event 2.png
event 2.png (71.21 KiB) Viewed 3145 times
I did Surface Test > Disk Repair > Result: 0 damaged 0 bad (shows only good) but there is 1 dark green bar
DISK REPAI.png
DISK REPAI.png (215.29 KiB) Viewed 3145 times
Next I did Surface Test > Read Test > Result 0 damaged 0 bad (shows only good) all bright green ......
READ.png
READ.png (199.12 KiB) Viewed 3145 times
MY question is > Can I say that the HDD is now stable ??
despite Current Pending Sector Count = 1 why Threshold; Value; Worst parameter, are same as my perfect drive T=0 V=200 W=200 ??
conclusion.png
conclusion.png (85.75 KiB) Viewed 3145 times
If my HDD is stable, Is it OK if I set OFFSET -1 for that parameter ??
Thank you in advance ......
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: HD Sentinel reported 1 weak Sector but....

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and the images.

Yes, as you can see, even one weak sector can cause troubles in Windows when it attempts to read that particular sector.

Yes, generally the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Disk Repair test should repair issues. I suspect when it reaches the appropriate sector (where the darker green block found) the sector could be repaired automatically - this is why further test shows no problems and even no darker green areas.

It is interesting why the "current pending sector" not decreased during the above procedure as generally the drive should record that the sector is no longer in pending/weak status.

But yes, as further test shows no issues (and if I'm correct, there are no further Windows Event Log messages) now it is safely possible to clear the error counter: so you can specify -1 in the Offset column at the Current Pending Sector attribute.

> T=0 V=200 W=200

These are absolutely not important. T (Threshold) = 0 means that even if your hard disk would have millions of weak sectors (so no file could be read) the drive would still never reach the error-level threshold required for replacement as the Value would never go below 0.
This is why it's more important to check the "raw" Data field, the actual error counter instead of T / V / W fields.