Test failed by read element

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
Roy.M.Crary

Test failed by read element

Post by Roy.M.Crary »

I bought my external HDD in March, and use this only for data backup. 30 hours on, ONLY. I conect this only one time in mounth, to backup.

But today when I conect my External HDD, the CrystalDisk and HD Sentinel says that "Current Pending Sector Count", and Sentinel's Hd Health go down to 93%.

When I try to run "Short Self Test" i got this message: "Test Failed By Read Element 0X79"
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Test failed by read element

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, this is very common situation.

If you check the text description of Hard Disk Sentinel, it suggests to please read the following page: (available also from
www.hdsentinel.com -> Support -> Frequently Asked Questions -> What is a weak sector? How to repair weak sectors? )
https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_ca ... ectors.php

This describes that in this case, hardware self tests (for example Disk menu -> Short self test) usually fail (it shows the screenshot too).

Also this page describes that even if we may think this is related to the hard disk itself, in most cases other factors (cables, connections, power source, etc.) are in the background and these cause the weak / pending sectors.
The no. 1 cause is when an external USB 2.5" hard disk connected to single USB 2.0 connection which may not provide enough power for proper operation.

Disk menu -> Surface test -> Disk Repair function of Hard Disk Sentinel designed exaxtly to fix these problems. Ideally, if the status is stable, the problems will be repaired completely after that test, the health will also improve and the Disk menu -> Short self test will also complete without problems (as described on the suggested page).

But if the original issue (cable, connection, power, etc.) not fixed / improved, then it is possible that more and more weak / pending sectors will be detected from time-to-time (or even during the test). So I recommend to check cables, connections, power source, avoid overclocking - and then proceed the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Disk repair test in order to repair the weak sectors.

In worst case (if the repair is not possible this way) you may perform a backup and use Disk menu -> Surface test -> Reinitialize disk surface test (also as suggested on the above page) to stabilize all sectors of the hard disk drive.