New SSDs at 1% - #232 Available Reserved Space

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
smyleseh

New SSDs at 1% - #232 Available Reserved Space

Post by smyleseh »

Brand new SSDs from two manufacturers are showing up as failing health almost upon installation, yet other diags (WD utils, Crystal Disk Mark, etc.) say everything is fine.

Using HD Sentinel for a while now, 256GB Kingston SSD health declining down to 88% and showing about 90 days left so I decided to replace it. First tried an L5 250GB, worked long enough to install Windows 10, Adobe Suite, O365, etc. plus setup, then health dropped to 9% within 24 hours. Cut my losses and replaced with a WD 250GB Blue, no issues with same install and setup, but now shows health at 1%. The error shown is #232 Available Reserved Space. The drive is performing well, other diags and tests report it's in perfect health. Considering the amount of time I've spent reloading OS and apps, I don't want to continue if HDS is accurate, but I am wondering if there's a bug or something being misreported.

All other drives (mechanical) are working fine, the Kingston is still at 88% and yes, I've confirmed drivers and tried different SATA ports and both IDE and AHCI settings in BIOS.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Attachments
HD Sentinel Status 200219a.jpg
HD Sentinel Status 200219a.jpg (275.65 KiB) Viewed 8755 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: New SSDs at 1% - #232 Available Reserved Space

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and sorry for the possible confusion.

Seems so interesting: it seems the mentioned attribute works differently than with the WD Blue SSDs previously tested, probably due to different firmware version.

Please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option. Then it is possible to check the "raw" status information provided by the SSD and can examine the mentioned attribute, compare how it may be interpreted differently and update according that.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for increasing attention to this situation.

Double examined all recent reports about WD SSDs and got some new models for testing and researching and yes, it seems these provide the status information slightly differently than the software expected (based on the previous models tested). Not (only) by the mentioned attribute, but also an other (230 Media Wearout Indicator) which resulted the low health.

An updated version completed, which should recognise and display such situation properly and display the expected 100% health of course.
So if you have some time, please check this version:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/beta5/hdsent ... _5308b.zip

which (if I'm correct) should display 100% health.
The graph on the bottom will show the low value today (as it shows the daily lowest value) but from tomorrow, it should also increase back.

To use this version, please just completely close the current version by File -> Exit and (without uninstallation) install this version to the same folder, where the previous installed. This way the new version will automatically use all statistics, settings.

If possible, please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer with it as it would confirm things - but if something needs to be adjusted, it helps.

Thanks for increasing attention to this situation - and sorry for the troubles.
Bradsonline2020

Post by Bradsonline2020 »

Hoping someone can help I have a similar problem. I have a drive that HD Sentinel is telling me has only 6% health yet Crystal Disk Info and a product called Panda Monitoring is telling me the drive is fine?
6% Health
6% Health
HD Sentinal1.PNG (33.77 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
HD Smart Details
HD Smart Details
HD Sentinal2.PNG (57.34 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
Crystal Details
Crystal Details
CrystalDiskInfo.PNG (64.46 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
Kind Regards

Bradley
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, I agree that there is a big problem if other tools may completely ignore the amount of problems....

As you can see at

https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#difference

generally there can be difference and it is even normal and expected: other tools may be simply not sensitive enough to problems, may not report the status and health correctly.
As you can see, Hard Disk Sentinel describes the problems found and shows the health, status based on that.
This is the purpose of the software: to detect and display issues which may otherwise remain unnoticeable (especialy if other tools completely ignore them).

I'd worry that if other tools do not report these, then they would not report possible further changes, degradations too, making their use questionable....

Generally the bad sectors reported are no longer used, the disk drive uses the spare area instead, as described at

https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#health

So _ideally_ they can never cause problems (and in an ideal world we can "ignore" them) - but because of their presence, we may expect further problems. So we can't surely say that they can be ignored, at least until we confirm the status: verify if the SSD already found and stabilized all possible bad sectors by reallocation.

Then, after we confirmed that the status is stable, it is possible to acknowledge these problems in Hard Disk Sentinel, to clear these problems and restore the health. But _only_ after such testing, if a tool "automatically" ignores such problems, then it is a really big problem with it.

Please check

https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq_repair_h ... _drive.php

for more information about how to perform test, diagnostics and how to restore the health if we confirm the status.
If you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, I can check and assist with step-by-step details.