Configuration backup & restore problem

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
vit

Configuration backup & restore problem

Post by vit »

Hello,
I have HD Sentinel v5.40 Pro installed.
I am trying to transfer statistics, settings and a license using Configuration -> Update -> Backup and next Configuration -> Update -> Restore configuration from my old computer to my new computer, but:
1) License - After selecting a file with a saved configuration on my new computer, the license information will not be loaded. Under Help -> About program I still have "Not registered version".
2) Settings - It seems to me that the settings are also not loaded (most of them I already set up manually as I had before, but after trying to upload this file one of the settings, which I did not set, also did not change).
3) Statistics - Do "statistics" mean that when I click on a disk attribute, a chart with values ​​of this attribute appears at the bottom of the time? Does it have to be from this file and not the disk itself? If so, then it's loaded.
Thank you in advance for your help
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Configuration backup & restore problem

Post by hdsentinel »

Can you please send the saved file and your license to info (at) hdsentinel (dot) com ?

This way I can examine the situation, check what happened.
Sounds so interesting, generally with real, licensed versions this should never happen of course.

Not sure, but I suspect you may attempted to
- load the configuration file saved by Hard Disk Sentinel standard version
- load the configuration file saved by an older promotional Hard Disk Sentinel (Pro/standard) version which does not offer updates.

In these cases, it is completely normal and expected that the latest version (and generally Pro if you used Standard) does not accept the license. So after you load the configuration file, the
- license is not accepted (completely normal and expected) so the software remains unregistered
- settings related to registered version are not loaded/used (if the software is not registered)

> Do "statistics" mean that when I click on a disk attribute, a chart with values ​​of this attribute appears
> at the bottom of the time? Does it have to be from this file and not the disk itself? If so, then it's loaded.

Statistics means yes, the disk attribute graphs (when you select an attribute on the S.M.A.R.T. page) and also other kind of statistics, for example the temperature history on the Temperature page, the Health graph history on the Overview page, the Log page with possible errors and so.
vit

Post by vit »

In the "About program" tab on the old laptop there is version 5.30 without "Professional" note and on the new laptop in the "About program" tab there is version 5.40 and the entry "Professional".
I once bought a license and entered it into the program. Does this mean that I have entered it to HD Sentinel Standard version? I thought it would turn into a Pro then. And it seems to me that it had then functionality of the pro version.
Is that what this is about?
Now I just have to manually enter the license and program settings. Only the statistics of the disks have been copied.
Is this how it is?
Thank you for your help
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, if the About box does not show "Professional" then you had the standard version previously.
Its license is designed for the standard version - so the Professional version (same 5.30 or updated) will not accept it.

So you would need to download Hard Disk Sentinel standard version from the Download page: https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php
or directly from https://www.harddisksentinel.com/hdsentinel_setup.zip
(this link always point on the latest possible Hard Disk Sentinel standard).

> I thought it would turn into a Pro then. And it seems to me that it had then functionality of the pro version.

No...
The Professional version has additional functions.
It is possible to upgrade to Pro version from the standard any time by the price difference between the versions.
If this is preferred, please contact info (at) hdsentinel (dot) com for the details (please include the current license for reference).

> Now I just have to manually enter the license and program settings. Only the statistics of the disks have been copied.
> Is this how it is?

The statistics are working even in un-registered version.
But the settings related to registered version is not used if the license is not accepted (if you use the Pro version and had license for the standard only).
If you still have access to the old system, then (after you manually registered the new installation) you may simply try to copy HDSentinel.ini file from the old system to the new (when the software is not running on any computers) to copy the settings too.
vit

Post by vit »

I am not sure if your answers are relevant to my situation.
I have certainly ordered (as description in the license order) a license for Hard Disk Sentinel PROFESSIONAL. And I suppose I introduced this license for installation with the basic (standard) version of Hard Disk Sentinel and that caused some problems?
Do your answers relate to such a situation?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Sorry, but the standard version does not accept license of Professional and vice-versa.

So if you previously had a working (registered, activated) standard version (as you wrote the word Professional not displayed in the About box) then it was Standard version, used with a standard license, not with the Professional license code.

Sorry for the possible confusion, yes, my answers are relevant: backup configuration (license, settings, staistics) from a Standard version should not work if re-loaded in the Professional version, even if you manually register the Pro version previously.

If you still have access to the old system and use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, I can check that version.
Alternatively, if you send the saved configuration file (as mentioned previously) I can check that too, just to confirm the original version where it saved.