New HDD Not Included in Alerts

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
phnt0m

New HDD Not Included in Alerts

Post by phnt0m »

Hello,

I'm new to HDD Sentinel and am still very much learning. I recently added a new hard drive and HDD Sentinel seems to recognize it everywhere except in the alerts menu. That is, when I look at my list of drives and in the status window/tray icons, the new HDD shows up and its information is displayed. However, when I go to set a custom free disk space threshold in the Alerts menu, the new disk isn't included on that drop down list. Further, my email reports still say the overall system is at 91% capacity -- with the addition of the new hard drive, I should be somewhere between 50-75% capacity.

I feel like I'm overlooking something, but I'm not sure what. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: New HDD Not Included in Alerts

Post by hdsentinel »

Did you partition and format the new hard disk drive?
If not, then it is completely normal that it displayed and detected - but as there is no logical drive associated, it does not appear in the Alerts section (not possible to configure free space alert) and its capacity is not counted as free space.

If the disk drive has formatted partition(s), then those should appear of course.
In worst case, please try to completely close Hard Disk Sentinel by File -> Exit and re-start, just to check if then displayed.

If you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, I can check the actual situation.

> Further, my email reports still say the overall system is at 91% capacity

Excuse me but I do not really understand. There is no such / similar information in the e-mail report at all......
Do you mean the % value you see in the e-mail subject line? That shows the lowest health of all drives, not the usable capacity.
phnt0m

Post by phnt0m »

Hello,

Thank you for your response!

The disk is indeed partitioned and formatted -- it even has a few files on it now.

I tried closing and restarting the program, and even restarting the computer, but it's still not showing up in the drive threshold menu. I don't think it's being counted with the other drives regarding overall system disk space. I sent you a system report.

I think I may have misunderstood that percentage. Just to make sure I'm not describing the email incorrectly, I've attached an screenshot of it to this reply.
hd sentinel email alert header.PNG
hd sentinel email alert header.PNG (7.1 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
Thanks again for your help!
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and thanks for the developer report you sent.

Yes, now I see the problem: as I see, the disk drive has letter B:

Generally A: and B: drives were used for floppy disks and fixed disk drives usually have letters starting from C:
Because of this, Hard Disk Sentinel displays the disk drives from C: - Z: only in the drive thresholds menu, this is why the B: drive does not appear there (even if it's a fixed hard disk drive).

I'll examine and make the required change, so then the following version may display B: drive there too (if it's a hard disk drive).
If possible, I'd recommend to try to assign a different drive letter for the new hard disk drive in the range C: - Z: so then it would be surely listed.

Thanks for the image. Yes, as I tried to write, the % value in the e-mail header is NOT related to capacity in any ways.
It shows the lowest health of all drives, to quickly indicate the health value and possible change.
As your SSD has 91% health (due to normal wearout), the e-mail subject shows 91%.
This is not affected by the capacity of the new drive in any ways.
phnt0m

Post by phnt0m »

Sorry for the delay in my response, but thank you for your help on this and for clarifying that email header!