SSD Health appears much lower than disk is rated

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
OldGeezer916

SSD Health appears much lower than disk is rated

Post by OldGeezer916 »

I am running 4 Crucial MX500 drives. They are supposed be good for 180 TB writes. I run my computer 24/7. Three of the disks are used only for cloning, so most of the time they are idle. An SSD only wears by writes, not by time. I Think HD sentinel is using power on time to lower the health. One drive had 528 days power on with 33.27 TB writes & is rated 75%. Another drive with 718 days has fewer writes at 30.37 TB & is rated 63%. So, more time fewer writes, much lower health. The Crucial site & every article I have read say the 500 GB is good for 180 TB. I am nowhere near that. The only way time is mentioned is factoring average daily use to reach the maximum writes. It is 1.8 million hours for this drive, so even if I write much more daily than the average user, I am nowhere near limit. Adding the days power on to the estimated remaining lifetime totals only 1154 days. That is 27696 hours. That's a long way from 1.8 million. Total hours for another drive showing 75% is 1339.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: SSD Health appears much lower than disk is rated

Post by hdsentinel »

> I Think HD sentinel is using power on time to lower the health.

I can confirm that this is NOT TRUE of course.

Please check the text description. It shows the source of the health: if problem(s) found, then they may cause the lower health.
Or if there are no problems (no bad sectors or so) then the health is determined by an attribute, which suggests the generic wearout of the SSD.
This is independent from Hard Disk Sentinel, the SSD calculates and provides this value, based on the wearout.

Even if the drive has lower total amount of data written, the type of data written may be important.
For example frequently updating smaller files may cause much bigger overhead and can cause higher wearout (=lower health) even if the total amount of written data is lower.

If you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, I'd be happy to check the status of the SSDs, verify and compare their values.

But again just to make sure: the power on time value is NOT used in determining health (for any device).