Will it run before logging in & scheduled reporting?

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
PitRejection2359

Will it run before logging in & scheduled reporting?

Post by PitRejection2359 »

Hi,

Is it possible to set sentinel to run before a user has logged in on a windows 10 PC? I might like to use this on a windows 10 server, but I won't be logged into the PC most of the time so there won't be a user logged in. Is there also a way to set it up to send a scheduled report via email, or check the status remotely without having to remote desktop into the W10 server? Many thanks.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Will it run before logging in & scheduled reporting?

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes of course.

Please check Support -> Frequently Asked Questions -> Is it possible to monitor disk status WITHOUT administrator rights? topic:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#q6

Use Configuration -> Integration -> Use as service button. It switches Hard Disk Sentinel Professional to "service" mode: then it runs in the context of the SYSTEM account, invisible in the background as an NT service and works independenty from the current user, without any visible user interface.

This way it can work (detect status, issue alerts by e-mail, report problems) independently from the current user and his user rights, so works even if the current user has limited user rights - or if there is no logged user at all. So in service mode, Hard Disk Sentinel Pro is separated from the current user.

It is good idea to combine with some options, eg. the WMI integration, so you can check disk status via WMI:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/how_to_integrate_wmi.php

or access the status information by XML:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/how_to_integ ... export.php
PitRejection2359

great - thank you very much. I'm not really sure how to use WMI, but it looks pretty useful.

I presume I still only need 1 licence on the PC I want to run the monitoring - I don't need a second licence on any other to remotely check using WMI or any other method?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, exactly as you wrote: you'd need one license for the system you prefer to monitor (where Hard Disk Sentinel Pro installed to detect status and provide the information remotely).

There is no need to have additional license(s) for other systems (if they do not need monitoring/protection) just to access the status remotely about the above mentioned PC.
PitRejection2359

Great - thank you. Looking at the features page, it looks like it's only the Pro version that has these feature, right? Many thanks!
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes: the remote status checking and reporting, WMI / XML status export functions are available in the Pro version only.