The status of the hard disk is unknown

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
zub

The status of the hard disk is unknown

Post by zub »

How to fix it. my harddisk is 1 TB
Attachments
hardisk.PNG
hardisk.PNG (65.71 KiB) Viewed 10658 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: The status of the hard disk is unknown

Post by hdsentinel »

I'm afraid it may be not possible to "fix", it may be too late when a hard disk reached this point.

This happens when the disk surface can't be accessible at all - when the firmware and/or the adminstrative area of the hard disk damaged and the drive even can't provide the correct system parameters.
As you can see, the hard disk drive does not show any identification information (its model ID, firmware version and even its capacity is not provided correctly).

This is generally why it's not available in Windows for use: it can't be read/written, can't be tested - and can't be "fixed".

Not sure if this is an internal hard disk or external hard disk drive.

If it's a 2.5" external hard disk, connected to a single USB 2.0 connection, then I'm afraid such failure is very common as a single USB 2.0 port can't provide enough power for proper operation. Using an external hard disk that way can cause complete, unrecoverable "sudden" failure.
So if it's a 2.5" external hard disk, make sure to connect to USB 3.0 port or connect to an USB hub with external power supply to provide enough power for proper operation.

If this is an internal hard disk drive and you have the opportunity, I'd recommend to check
- connecting the hard disk drive to a different SATA port and power source, maybe check with a different computer
- check with an external, USB enclosure / adapter

just to verify that with the different operating environment and conditions (different connections, power source, etc.) may help the hard disk to identify itself correctly.

If the drive can't be detected in any cases then I'm afraid this may be caused by a permanent damage of the hard disk, for example caused by overheat condition (see http://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_case_overheat.php for details) or mechanical shock (or the insufficient power mentioned).
On the above link, it is described that during such damage, the hard disk internal firmware may be damaged/broken. The result is that the hard disk can't report its actual model ID, serial number and/or the real capacity (as you can see).

If this happened, I'm afraid no software can help - as no software can make it working again, no software can fix a completely failed hard disk drive.

Hard Disk Sentinel is designed exactly to avoid, to prevent such situations: to reveal and fix any possible problems long before it can result in a failed hard disk. Fixing is always more problematic (if possible at all).

The cost of data recovery can be high (if it's possible - which is not true in all cases) so it may better to avoid this by constant monitoring and tests available in Hard Disk Sentinel.
cachogomez

Post by cachogomez »

I just bought a Supermicro server, and it doesn't recognize any of the drives
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Probably there is an issue with the disk controller and/or its installed driver. Sometimes a driver change/upgrade can help (but not always the newest is the best one).

I suggest to please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option in the latest Hard Disk Sentinel, as then it is possible to check and advise (as displayed by the software).
Sylver Cheetah 53

Post by Sylver Cheetah 53 »

Hi!
I am new here, so please be nice. :D

I have a similar problem. All 3 internal HDDs are not recognised. But the 2 SSDs (one internal, one external) are okay.
Probably, I need a driver or something. :?
My motherboard is Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite.
HDD Sentinel Error.PNG
HDD Sentinel Error.PNG (95.12 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
Free your mind!
Sylver Cheetah 53

This only happens to me on Windows 11.
On Windows 10, all is good:
HDD Sentinel Win10.png
HDD Sentinel Win10.png (91.47 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
I am using Windows 11 and Windows 10, in dual-boot.
But my main O.S. is Win 11. So I would like to get this fixed.
Thank you!
Free your mind!
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Probably under Windows 11, a different driver is installed for the disk controller / motherboard which may require change/update.
Sometimes (even we'd expect differetly) a fresh installed system may install wrong drivers, causing troubles.

I suggest to (exactly as displayed on the Overview page) please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option.

Then it is possible to check the actual situation, verify the disk controller and its drivers and can help to improve the situation.
If you prefer, you can use this under both Windows 11 and 10 too, so it is possible to check the differences, to be sure.
Sylver Cheetah 53

Done!
I hope I'll get support for this one. :)
Free your mind!
Sylver Cheetah 53

I figure it out, myself.
I have installed AMD RAID Driver and RAID Preinstall Driver. After restart, now all is fine.
Thanks for nothing!
Free your mind!
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

"Nothing"

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean....

On 15 Dec 2023 I sent answer in e-mail: I explained the situation and increased attention to the issue you had.

Probably you did not receive that e-mail....