Title changes when drive goed Unconfigured

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
CTow

Title changes when drive goed Unconfigured

Post by CTow »

Good day,
2nd post today, new subject.
When one of my drives goed unconfigured bad, the title changes, the layout of the SMART report changes, the drive capacity and the "Power on Time" go up to a ridiculous value.
After I make the drive Good and reintegrate it into my RAID, the Title, SMART report etc. does not change even after I close & restart HDS. 10-15 min. later HDS goes into a "Not responding" condition. After I close HDS and restart it, the drive report for the drive goes back to normal.

Could you please explain what is happening?

Thanks. Cal
Drive Good
Drive Good
drive-28-good.jpg (400.32 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Unconfigured
Unconfigured
drive-2-unconfig.jpg (324.59 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Title changes when drive goed Unconfigured

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, I can confirm that it may happen.

When a drive status changes and/or generally when a drive may be not accessible, then the RAID controller may
- respond slower when the disk is accessed (so Hard Disk Sentinel needs to wait for long time for the controller and the drive and during this waiting cycle, it may be "not responding" as waiting for the hardware)
- provide the disk status information completely differenty than expected, for example may not able to provide the complete self-monitoring status o f the disk drive.

Generally when the disk (RAID) configuration is changing (eg. you just configure a new drive) then yes, it is possible that the RAID controller may provide complete, updated status / configuration after some time OR (in worst case) after a complete restart only.

If you'll somehow see similar in the future, I'd suggest to use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option when you see the "unexpected" values/information and then also use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option again when things work again as expected.
This way it is possible to examine the "raw" response of the RAID controller in different situations, compare them and examine/follow what may happen (and check if there may be something to improve for the particular combination of the RAID controller, disk drive(s) and the RAID array(s).
CTow

Re: Title changes when drive goed Unconfigured

Post by CTow »

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm on a a learning curve.

Cal