Question regarding weak sector and how to fix it

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
parata

Question regarding weak sector and how to fix it

Post by parata »

Hi Hdd Sentinel ..I got a prob

I did the Disk-Repair method, after completed it turned nothing, all green ... idk if it means stable

My question
1. Do I need to reinitialize-test for sake of completeness of test method ?
2. Do I need to adjust the offset so it'll be back to 100%, since HDD is stable now?
Attachments
repair test
repair test
20200613-205608_REPAIR_WDC_WD1003FZEX-00K3CA0_WD-WCC6Y0PE7EL4_01.01A01-surface-full.jpg (299.84 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
kkkd.png
kkkd.png (97.76 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Question regarding weak sector and how to fix it

Post by hdsentinel »

> I did the Disk-Repair method, after completed it turned nothing, all green ... idk if it means stable

Yes: if all blocks are green, it confirms that all sectors are readable, the hard disk status is now stable.

In some rare situations, the hard disk does not decrease the weak sector counter automatically when the appropriate sectors are fixed, stabilized.
Not really sure if it may be a firmware issue or something else (eg. insufficient power / accidental reset which may caused that the disk did not have the opportunity to automatically decrease the error counter after the sector ir stabilized), but yes, we found some similar situations.

> 1. Do I need to reinitialize-test for sake of completeness of test method ?

As the surface test now shows perfect status, you may not need to use the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Reinitialise Disk Surface test now (until you see the status is stable, no further errors reported).

However if possible (if you can perform a complete backup) yes, it may worth a try as in one of such cases after the Reinitialise Disk Surface test the drive updated the pending (weak) sector counter, so yes, such issues may be no longer displayed.

> 2. Do I need to adjust the offset so it'll be back to 100%, since HDD is stable now?

Yes, if the hard disk does not automatically update / clear the error counter (and by the disk test you confirmed that the disk surface is completely working, readable) it is possible to use the Offset column to manually acknowledge the problems. So they will be no longer displayed, just possible further issues will be reported.

For this, please select the S.M.A.R.T. page of the hard disk drive in Hard Disk Sentinel.
Click on the 0 in the "Offset" column in the line of "197 Current pending sector count"
After the small confirmation window, specify -25 (the count of weak sectors with negative sign).
Soon the errors will be no longer displayed in the text description and the health % should improve too. Note that the graph on the bottom will still show the smaller value today as the graph shows the daily lowest health measured. But from tomorrow, it will also show 100% - until any new problem/degradation will be found with the hard disk drive.