Hikvision E100 SSD runs very hot

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
Khurram

Hikvision E100 SSD runs very hot

Post by Khurram »

I have just replaced my PC SSD from Samsung EVO 850 to a Hikvision E100. The Samsung SSD ran at about 35-40 C but the Hikvision runs at 50-54 C. The Hikvision does not feel hot when I touch it. Is there some miscalculation by HD Sentinel Pro?

Thanks
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Hikvision E100 SSD runs very hot

Post by hdsentinel »

No, I can confirm that there is no "miscalculation" of course: Hard Disk Sentinel reads the temperature information from the proper self-monitoring attribute. You can verify this (and other attributes too) any time on the S.M.A.R.T. page.

So any (correct or incorrect) temperature value is reported by the disk drive (the SSD itself).

Usually SSDs work on higher temperature, 50-54 Celsius would be completely normal and expected. Yes, Samsung ones usually report lower values compared to other SSDs.

Please note that some SSDs having plastic housing which is much cooler to touch as they do not dissipate heat well. As a result, the internal temperature (reported by the device, so displayed in Hard Disk Sentinel) is much higher and the device is "cool to touch".

Anyway, it is known that some temperature sensors may be not perfect, not accurate and may require correction.
This is possible in Hard Disk Sentinel: you can measure the temperature (or just compare with the room/office temperature) and can adjust the temperature reading to reflect the correct value. This is called as Temperature cailbration and you can find more information about it in the Help:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/help/en/55_calibration.html

If you prefer to prevent "overheat" alert in Hard Disk Sentinel, you can configure a custom temperature threshold level:

Please open the Temperature page and in the upper right area, there is a link Set custom temperature threshold which can be used to increase threshold values for this particular device only.

After any of the above adjustments, Hard Disk Sentinel will only issue alert when that (higher) temperature threshold reached.