ESXi/VMWare support

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
shawn

ESXi/VMWare support

Post by shawn »

1. I know HDS supports Linux. Does that mean it supports ESXi/VMWare? I didn’t find any tutorials for ESXi here.

2. HDS supports NAS. I have a Synology NAS VM on an ESXi 6.7 host. The HDDs are mapped to NAS as RDM (Raw Device Mapping), so Synology cannot see SMART of the HDDs because ESXi sits in between. I know I can buy a RAID card and pass through the card to NAS in order to get SMART in Synology, but that’s a bit too much for me. So, I guess the only way left is to get the NAS HDDs’ SMART from ESXi host?
shawn

Re: ESXi/VMWare support

Post by shawn »

So, there is no support for ESXi?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

I'm afraid no.

You can try to Linux versions but likely they will not work.

A solution can be if you use VMWare Directpath and configure that the controller should be available for a virtual system - and then monitor the status from that system (as then it can access the hardware).

For example, on this forum topic:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/forum/viewto ... esxi#p8304

mentioned a minor compatibility issue with a special RAID controller (which already fixed since that) when he configured this way: then the Windows version of Hard Disk Sentinel (running inside the virtual machine) can access the RAID controller and the hard disk status for all drives.
Not sure, but this may help ...
shawn

Post by shawn »

Thanks for your honest answer.
I don’t have a RAID card and all my HDDs and SSDs are connected to the motherboard SATA or M.2 ports. So the ESXi passthrough is a no-go.
I wish the Linux solution can work for ESXi in the future. I believe it will be very useful for a lot of people!