How does HDS clarify the controller of SSD?

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
templar629

How does HDS clarify the controller of SSD?

Post by templar629 »

Hi Everybody,
I work at a SSD company, and I have a HDS SMART attribute problem recently.

How does HDS know what the SSD controller brand is when I put on a new SSD device?
Different SSD controller will have different SMART attribute.
I have a lot of different brands controller of SSD, and every SSD controller have their own SMART attribute table.
What i want to know is what parameter does HDS use to identify the controller of SSD.

Will the IEEE OUI in the ID table be the parameter?
I modify my IEEE OUI of my SSD, but HDS still know the controller, so I think that HDS doesn't use IEEE OUI to be the parameter.

I use bus hound to record the HDS working process, but I still cannot find out how does it work with clarifying controller and assuming the SMART attribute of controller.

Does anybody know about that?
Thanks
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: How does HDS clarify the controller of SSD?

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, exactly as you wrote, different SSD controllers have their different S.M.A.R.T. attributes and it is more challenging to detect the controller and properly identify the name of the S.M.A.R.T. attributes and their real meaning / functionality, for example
- how they count power on time
- how they count the total amount of lifetime writes
- how they count the current wearout / estimated lifetime remaining

I'm afraid I can't provide too much details (there are both technical and legal restrictions preventing that).

May I ask what do you prefer to achieve? Do you prefer to *hide* the SSD controller details? This may cause false interpretation and false status displayed in Hard Disk Sentinel (and probably in other tools too) so this may be not a good idea...

Or do you prefer to have best possible software support for a new SSD? I can confirm that I'd be more than happy to examine and assist the situation and make proper support of the new SSD model(s) exactly to display the real, proper information of your SSD for users immediately when they begin using that.

If you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, I can check the actual situation and advise about the attributes.