Log of Last Processed Data Block

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
dirtysmo

Log of Last Processed Data Block

Post by dirtysmo »

Hello,

I started the write surface test on a new 14 TB HDD. The test was estimated to take ~24 hours. I'm pretty sure the test was still running ~12 hours later because I recall seeing HDD activity light flashing on the external enclosure. After ~28 hours, I went to check on the surface test results. After logging into Windows, I found the HDS app was no longer running. I looked through the log files in the HDS folder to view the last activities recorded, but did not see anything relevant. This is the first time I've encountered a situation like this where the HDS app was no longer running. Is there a log file I can look at to determine the last data block that HDS processed during this surface test?

I see where someone asked this question back in 2016, and you responded this log entry would be available in the 5.x version:
https://www.hdsentinel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10695

However, someone asked about this again in 2020 and you responded that it had not been implemented:
https://www.hdsentinel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13137

Surely, this has been implemented by now, so I don't have to run this extensive write test again?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Log of Last Processed Data Block

Post by hdsentinel »

Hello,

Thanks for your message.

No, I can confirm that such function is not available yet.
Hard Disk Sentinel has option to automatically save test results when any disk test is completed, see Configuration -> Advanced options -> Automatically save disk test results to folder option.
But currently it does not save the last step / block tested.

Personally I'd be more than curious to know WHAT caused that the "HDS app was no longer running."
I've never experienced or heard any similar, so I can't really imagine what caused that.
Yes, I agree that in this case the mentioned last-step-log can help (so may be available in a future vesion) but would be good to know what caused the problems in the operation in general.
dirtysmo

Re: Log of Last Processed Data Block

Post by dirtysmo »

I can't really comment on what caused the issue, since nothing appeared in the logs (I am already logging the test results). The issue happened, just like it could happen to any other user out there running one of these LONG disk surface tests. What I do know, is that I now get to restart the test from the beginning because there was NO last tested entry.

I apologize if this is coming across condescending, but this issue was already brought up to you about 5 years ago (2016). 5 years ago! It was then brought up to you again last year. I am now bringing it up to you for a third time. All 3 times, you have given the same exact response: "Yeah, I agree. That feature would be nice to have..." We both know it would require a minimal amount of code in order to add this simple, but REALLY helpful feature, which would allow us to resume these LONG tests when they get disrupted for one reason or another.

I purchased a license for HDS to help me with hard disk related tasks. Restarting a test from the beginning is not helping me. I encourage you to add this feature SOON, so this will be one less thing that your users have to worry about in the future if a test is cut short.