Unable to test hard disk

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
LeonThePC

Unable to test hard disk

Post by LeonThePC »

Does HD Sentinel test Solid State Drives when a test is scheduled? I understand that every time that data is rewritten to a SSD it decreases its life. The reason I am asking is because I don't see the results of a SSD when I schedule a test. My clients are not paying attention to the HD Sentinel program when it opens on boot so they ignore when the SSD is failing. I have the results emailed to me and I would like to know the health of the SSDs EVEN if they are not tested.

This is what I have been getting in my email test results for computers with SSD.

I have installed HD Sentinel Pro on many of my clients. When I get the test results emailed to me, some of them say "Unable to test hard disk" and it doesn't list the SSD drive.
2021/03/15 00:00:07.186 Unable to test hard disk
Test operation: Short Self-test

Hard disk test results:

Elapsed time: 00:00:11
On some computers it does list the SSD, but it still says "Unable to test hard disk"
Test operation: Short Self-test

Hard disk test results:
#0 TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (953867 MB) : Successfully Completed
#1 KXG50ZNV256G NVMe TOSHIBA (244191 MB) : Unable to test hard disk

Hard disk test details
#0 TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 Hard Disk Serial Number: 38U27SLMS
0 new reallocated sectors found
0 new spin retry errors found
0 new reallocation events found
0 new pending sectors found
0 new off-line uncorrectable sectors found
#1 KXG50ZNV256G NVMe TOSHIBA Hard Disk Serial Number: 68MF71AVFANP

Elapsed time: 00:01:04
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Unable to test hard disk

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, of course, scheduled short/extended self tests works for SSDs as well - but only for SATA SSDs (in addition to hard disks).

As I see, you tried on NVMe SSD - where it is not working.
In general, not all NVMe SSDs support such short/extended self tests. On the Information page, you can verify if the NVMe SSD supports self tests.
But I can confirm that even if supported, (currently) the short/extended self test functions are possible on SATA SSDs (and IDE/SATA/SCSI/SAS hard disks).

Currently researching and working on NVMe self test functions, so hopefully this will be possible very soon too.

Independently from that, if you prefer to see/get status of the disks of your clients, then you may enable the Configuration -> Alerts -> Send daily status e-mails option, as then Hard Disk Sentinel will send status report mails about the actual situation. Alternatively you can configure alerts there to receive notifications only when there is a problem (overheat, low health, new problem detected and logged etc.)
You can configure/customize such alerts on Configuration -> Alerts -> Message Settings page.