Health of SSD drive dropping

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
Virgil

Health of SSD drive dropping

Post by Virgil »

My drive C on a laptop shows declining health. It's now at 83% and the daily status report states: "The status of the solid state disk is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found.
The health is determined by SSD specific S.M.A.R.T. attribute(s): Available Spare (Percent), Percentage Used
The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported and enabled for optimal performance.

It is recommended to continuously monitor the hard disk status."

Health at 83% is described as Good and Performance at 100% is stated to be Excellent.

My question is what exactly should I do "to continuously monitor the hard disk status"? As I mentioned I receive daily status reports by email and I therefore do have a regular reminder in this sense about the hard disk status.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Health of SSD drive dropping

Post by hdsentinel »

> My question is what exactly should I do "to continuously monitor the hard disk status"?
> As I mentioned I receive daily status reports by email and I therefore do have a regular reminder in this sense about the hard disk status.

This is exactly what you can/should do: to keep an eye on the device by Hard Disk Sentinel, to be notified about possible changes, degradations.

While generally the health of SSDs degrade with time (caused by the writes)
( https://www.hdsentinel.com/kb/category/ ... orted.html )
but if this happens too frequently, then it may indicate that there is something in the system which performs excessive writes, causing that your SSD may fail (or just reach the end of its life) sooner.
Virgil

Post by Virgil »

Thank you for the information. I'll do a few tweaks so as to reduce the writes to disk and thus possibly prolong the life of the drive.
Virgil

Post by Virgil »

I omitted to ask if the SSD drive may be affected by reads (as opposed to writes). I take an incremental backup daily, a differential backup weekly and an image backup once a month. I don't know if these accesses to the SSD drive reduce its life, at least as much as writes to it apparently do.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

No, there are no problems with read commands. Reads do not affect the SSD drive, do not cause degradation or so.