Ran a Write Test and it Created Two Partitions

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
yakkityak

Ran a Write Test and it Created Two Partitions

Post by yakkityak »

Hi,

I ran the surface test (Write Test) on my 4TB Hard Drive and once it had completed (without any errors) I went into disk management and it was showing as two partitions, the first 2048GB and the second 1678.02GB. I have attached a screenshot.

Is this normal? Do you know why it would do this as opposed to making it one partition of approx. 3.7GB?

Thank you!
Attachments
HD Sentinel Created two partitions.PNG
HD Sentinel Created two partitions.PNG (6.05 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Ran a Write Test and it Created Two Partitions

Post by hdsentinel »

No, I can confirm that the write test *never* creates any partitions.

The write test clears all data from all sectors (including partition information, Master Boot Record and so).
Then, by default, Windows may show a high capacity disk drive this way: as this way you can create a single MBR partition (which has a limit of 2 TB capacity) in order to use with older systems (so generally for compatibility).

If you prefer to "combine" and use the whole capacity, then first you need to convert the drive to a GPT disk drive:
Please right click on the left section where you can see "Disk 0 Basic" and from the popup menu, select "Convert to GPT disk" option, as displayed on this image:

Then the complete capacity will be displayed - and you can create any partition(s) on the disk drive.
yakkityak

Re: Ran a Write Test and it Created Two Partitions

Post by yakkityak »

Strangely enoungh it actually showed it as one partition after I restarted windows:
cat.PNG
cat.PNG (4.83 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
Good to know what was happening though. Thanks for the help.