Hard drive fixed health but slow speed

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
walent

Hard drive fixed health but slow speed

Post by walent »

Hello, I have had problems copying a few files while backing up a 2tb 2.5 hard drive via USB so I ran a surface test and it showed errors and dropped to 95%. Then I changed the enclosure and ran a second test. Now it's 100% health but the end part of the drive has write speeds at about 100-2000 kb/s. Is it safe to use the drive, or is it going to die soon. Maybe I should re-test via SATA? Thanks in advance

https://imgur.com/a/L0MiTm1

Update: It's showing error 7 read element failed on a self-test and the speed is slow in the beginning, I gave up on the drive.
walent

Re: Hard drive fixed health but slow speed

Post by walent »

Update: Second chance:
Can someone take a look at the screenshots? Am I simply having these issues because of usb enclosure?

There's something peculiar about the end of the hard drive still
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Hard drive fixed health but slow speed

Post by hdsentinel »

Not sure, but yes, there is high chance that the problems are related to the USB enclosure and/or the cable/connection.
These can frequently cause problems like weak/pending sectors - and in most cases, these can be repaired without problems, confirming that the issues are generally not related to the disk drive "just" caused by something else.

The different speed at the end of the drive can be acceptable too. Maybe simply caused by some overheat of the USB enclosure/adapter during the very long and intensive Reinitialise disk surface testing. As I see, a following read test does not show too slow speeds at the end of the drive.