Drive Health

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
Thomas60

Drive Health

Post by Thomas60 »

Hello, I have a question with regards to Drive Health in % in Version 5.70Pro & 6.01Pro -
I noticed today that the drive reported on of the drives hat jumped on one particular day
to the next from 96% to 100% and the following day to back to 96% - I attached a screen print.

Is it a BUG or a Feature? and if it should be perfectly normal behavior maybe an explanation as to why this is happening,
I would be interested to understand and maybe to mitigated the issue from reoccurring.

Thanks in advance for your help and interest in my post.

Cheers Thomas
Attachments
HDS-5.70Pro Message.jpg
HDS-5.70Pro Message.jpg (194.52 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Drive Health

Post by hdsentinel »

Seems so interesting.

Generally as described in the text description on the Overview page, two attributes play important role in determining the Health % when no problems found with this SSD:

- Available Spare (percent)
- Percentage Used

You can check how these values change on the S.M.A.R.T. page with time, verify if one of them changed recently.

Generally these attributes do not improve, so seems so weird how/why the Health % value increased back.

Did you adjust anything on the above mentioned S.M.A.R.T. page recently (Offset values and/or Enable field)?
Or maybe there was a Windows update which performed a chipset driver update too - which could cause something with the status/health detection (?) just an idea.

Seems so interesting. I recommend to please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option now to have a "base" report and if you'll encounter similar, please send a new developer report similarly.
This way I can check and compare what happens - and this can give ideas about what could cause.
Thomas60

Post by Thomas60 »

OK, thank you for your reply and here are the answer your questions.

1) The Software is as, i.e. no configuration changes at all.
2) I also check other upgrades and confirm that no updates (OS/Drivers or other) where applied to the system on the day or on the day before.

I updated HD-Sentinel only yesterday from 5.70 to now 6.01 as I thought it might change something on the issue in hand, but nothing.

The requested Test- Report is on its way and should be with you shortly. I will continue to monitor and see if this issue returns and will contact you
again if it does. Any other questions, suggestion please ping me ..

Thanks for your help, Thomas
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the report, I double checked but according that, everything seems working correctly.

I thouht you may had a very special NVMe driver or a just-updated chipset driver which could cause troubles, but seems no such / similar used.

Maybe if you'll ever see similar and you can "catch" the different health, please send a new developer report similarly as then it is possible to compare all of the details provided then and now - and this can give some ideas.
Neo

Post by Neo »

Did you change the health calculation methond. If so, the health value may changed and recorded, and when you changed back, the health value changed back too.
Thomas60

Post by Thomas60 »

Neo wrote:Did you change the health calculation methond. If so, the health value may changed and recorded, and when you changed back, the health value changed back too.
No I did not do anything at all, the installation is out of box i.e. as is - but thank you for your suggestion.