How can I move historical data of a disk to another computer

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
Neo

How can I move historical data of a disk to another computer

Post by Neo »

I wanna move one disk from one computer which has more than one disk to another computer on which HDSentinel has been running for some time. So the problem is how can I move the historical data of Hdsentinel of this disk to another computer.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: How can I move historical data of a disk to another comp

Post by hdsentinel »

The function Configuration -> Update -> Backup Configuration designed to save everything (settings, statistics, the details/historic data of ALL disk drives) to a single file.

On a different installation, the Configuration -> Update -> Restore Configuration can re-load these settings - but this can overwrite settings/statistics of this installation, so I recommend to use it only in a new, fresh installed version of Hard Disk Sentinel.

If you want to export/move only the details of a specific drive, you'd need to
- manually export (and on the new system re-import) the disk details from the registry: under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HD Sentinel\SMART you may find DISKDATA.... entries for each disk drives ever detected
- manually copy the DISKDATA... files from the folder of the software
where the DISKDATA... entries/file names contain the model, serial number and firmware version of the appropriate drive.
Neo

Post by Neo »

Thanks for your reply.
I install portable version in my computer, I don't find the entry of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HD Sentinel in my registry. Is there a way to export historical data of specific drive from om computer and import it to another computer with portable version.
By the way, I love portabel version of any software. With proper configuration, thers is no need to backup any data or rigistry and no need to reinstall the software when I reinstall my OS. Just a shorcut, I can rerun the software with all historical data and configuration.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks, I see.
Of course the Portable version does not use the registry - this is exactly the purpose of the Portable version, to do not save/use any "local" resources.

If you have the Portable version, you can check the file REG.DAT in the HDSData folder under the folder of the Portable version.
This contains everything would be otherwise saved in the registry: if you open this file with NOTEPAD (as it is a simple text file), you can simply copy/paste the sections of any drive, eg.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HD Sentinel\SMART\DISKDATA_Hitachi_HTS725050A9A362_100322PCL400VLH2PE2J_PC4OC70E]

to the REG.DAT file of the other Portable version (and copy the associated DISKDATA .... files from this folder too) to copy all details.

Sorry, forgot to say that there may be sections need to be copied also from HDSentinel.STA file (also a simple text file) related to the disk drive. You can easily find the proper section(s) if you simply search for the serial number of the disk drive (displayed on the Information page).

Make sure that both instances (the old and the new) Hard Disk Sentinel should be closed completely by File -> Exit when you copy/paste the details/files.
Neo

Post by Neo »

It's OK, thanks for the reply.